Ad-aware

ayjay

Ad-aware SE is no longer being updated and the new free version Ad-aware 2007 will not work with Win 98.

Is there another similar programme worth running in it's place?

Thanks Ian, I should have said that I'm already running Spybot and have done in conjunction with Ad-aware for quite some time but they both used to pick up different things so I was looking for a direct replacement for Ad-aware.

I'm not aware of a comparable alternative (I only use SpyBot), but this post on their own forums http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=7656 suggests that it will work under Win98; only they won't offer support with problems arising from running it on that OS.

May I enquire as to why you're using Windows 98?

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR

I'm not aware of a comparable alternative (I only use SpyBot), but this post on their own forums http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=7656 suggests that it will work under Win98; only they won't offer support with problems arising from running it on that OS.

May I enquire as to why you're using Windows 98?

Cheers

Ian.

I tried to install Ad-aware2007 in January but it only works with Win2000 and onwards.

Tech spec from Lavasoft download page:-

Operating Systems

Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows XP (Home and Pro), Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 (Pro and Server)

I found a couple of links on the Lavasoft forum for similar products that still work with Win 98 and have now installed *SUPERAntiSpyware*, it's picked up few minor but very old items that the other two hadn't so I'll see how it goes.

Win 98 is what's on my computer, so I use it, (if it ain't broke don't fix it), actually I preferred 3.1 and was very sorry to see it go, I don't feel a need for constantly upgrading things that still work.

Win 98 is what's on my computer, so I use it, (if it ain't broke don't fix it), actually I preferred 3.1 and was very sorry to see it go, I don't feel a need for constantly upgrading things that still work.

True, I'm still running 98 on a laptop. Nothing wrong with it.

A-Squared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ is a good freeware if it's any use to you.

Cheers

Ian.

Google were pushing something the other month?? Spyware doctor?? BUT that runs a background scan and SERIOUSLY slows down the pc while doing it???

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Deleted

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Deleted

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Google were pushing something the other month?? Spyware doctor?? BUT that runs a background scan and SERIOUSLY slows down the pc while doing it???

I have found that since using ILSystem wiper before each time I shut down the PC, there is hardly ever anything for either Spybot or Ad-Aware to find.

Remember to use the protect function on any cookies relating to safe websites you visit regularly though, or you will find that you have to log in every time and forum threads are no longer marked as having been read.

You sometimes get trial versions, but I'm fairly sure this is the original free one http://www.filetransit.com/download.php?id=9086

Sorry - I have absolutely no idea what happened to cause three copies to appear and I can't find a way of deleting them.

Edited by Peter Sharpe