How do you make your own pole rigs ?

rarepleasures

I'm still relatively new to fishing and I've been using a telescopic whip more and more these days.

Up till now I've been buying ready make rigs and cutting them down to suit the depth of the water.

I thought it was about time I tried to make my own. I was thinking of starting simply with some pretied hooklinks that I would loop to loop on a mainline rig.

Is this the best way to get started ?

What sort of line is suitalbe for the rig length ?

Any other tips ?

Tony

I'm still relatively new to fishing and I've been using a telescopic whip more and more these days.

Up till now I've been buying ready make rigs and cutting them down to suit the depth of the water.

I thought it was about time I tried to make my own. I was thinking of starting simply with some pretied hooklinks that I would loop to loop on a mainline rig.

Any other tips ?

It's very easy, just tie a loop in the end of whatever mainline you want to use and clip it into the stonflo (or whatever connector you have) and cut it to the length you want (with a whip that's usually the length of the whip so you're fishing to-hand) minus the length of a hooklength (12-18" or so). Put on a float using very thin float rubbers. Tie a loop in the end of the line and attach a hooklength loop-to-loop (you can use pre-tied ones or tie your own - it's only a bit of line with a hook on one end and a loop in the other). Then add shot/styls. Use a lot of small ones rather than one or two big ones so you have more flexibility with shotting patterns depending on the conditions. Wind it onto a winder and you're done!

It helps with netting and baiting if the whole length is a few inches shorter than the length of your whip, and if you like you can write line strength, hook size, etc. on the side of the winder for later reference.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any other tips ?

you can get pole specific line, designed for tying your own rigs, personally I use the MAP carpek gold match and for my margin work the MAP carptek 'hit and hold'. You have to match your line diameter to your elastic, there is no golden rule but be realistic, just think what size fish you are going to catch and match this with dia of line and pole elastic

as for hooks again personally I only use three diff types of hooks for all my pole fishing, these are kamasan b911 (they have a wide gape and so good for hooking larger baits) and the kamasan b510's these are available in sizes 22-10 however i use 16-14 and in winter 18's. The third is for my margin work where I like to be strong throughout, I use kamasan animal as the nylon hook length is generally stronger and so matches the rig line, or I occasionally go straight through to the hook with the mainline when fishing shallow, again I will use these hooks. general rule is use the same brand of hooks (if you are using pre tied hooklengths) so that if you get broken off you can replace the hooklength and not have to plumb up agian.

floats are a difficult one without knowing what you are fishing for; however you now have to shot you rig so that the float will cock, the amount of shot or weight is printed on the float (see earlier posts about this) I use a large water bottle with top cut off to shot my rigs at home!!

Also on your rig winder write as much info about the rig as posible (i write hook size, line dia, length of rig and for a quick reference what bait i use it for)

Hope thi helps as i should be writing my dissertation really!!!!!!!!!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I use a large water bottle with top cut off to shot my rigs at home!!

Also on your rig winder write as much info about the rig as posible (i write hook size, line dia, length of rig and for a quick reference what bait i use it for)

After messing around with £5 worth of supa dupa "Dosapiombo" (no way thats spelt right!!) I too have gone back to using a container of water and short length of line attach in a loop to the float to get the shotting right! The Italian "thing" always played up for me!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This is the way I make my own pole rigs, I will try and describe it as good as I can but its quite complex so you will have to bear with me. Firstly, the way I measure the length of the rig is to find the length of one of the winders you use, i use 6in winders so you know that wrapping the line right around the winder will be 12in (1 foot) then you can calculate how many winds it takes for the length of rig you want. You must also take account of the line above the float, so add another foot onto it to allow for the excess from the knots and the line above the float. Next, you have to find the float silicone which will fit the float, once you have found it cut out 3 peices two of which are about 2mm and one a little longer of about 6-7mm. Then slide the line through the eye on the float and then slide this upto the loop, then put the 2 smaller float rubbers on first and slide them up to underneath the float, finally slide the third larger one on last (for reasons you will see later). Now, straighten the float out and thread the two little float rubbers onto the float stem and put one at the top, touching the body of the float and then the second rubber in the middle of the stem. Then thread the third rubber on and put this one covering the end of the stem of the float. Then you have to put your desired weights onto the line and move into your required shotting pattern. Now, if you are using a hooklength, just make a small loop in the bottom of the line and then attach the hooklength to the loop via a loop-to-loop knot. Then you attach the top loop (near the float) to the little spike on the winder and wrap the rig around the winder, then you need to get a 'rig anchor' which is a little rubber thing that you can hook the hook into and attach it to the winder. Now you have a nice and tidy rig, you can also get a pencil and write on the side of the winder the details of the rig e.g Hook size, line diametre, float spec etc. I have probably missed something out or done something else to make it seem rediculous, but its the way I make my rigs :D

This is the way I make my own pole rigs, I will try and describe it as good as I can but its quite complex so you will have to bear with me. Firstly, the way I measure the length of the rig is to find the length of one of the winders you use, i use 6in winders so you know that wrapping the line right around the winder will be 12in (1 foot) then you can calculate how many winds it takes for the length of rig you want

Thats a top idea. I was struggling to think of a way to measure out rig length without getting all tangled up. So obvious when its pointed out to you.

:-)

Tony