Unfinished business

Anderoo

There's just over a week (and just one weekend) left of the season - with the summer written off it's come round even quicker this year :huh:

So, have you got any unfinished business? Any last-gasp efforts to finish with a bang? How was your season?

I still haven't had my big chub, despite great conditions. Last year I could blame flooding but this year there's nothing to blame but me :rolleyes: I think I'll have the 14th off work and have one last proper bash at the Thames (maybe try for a perch too) and I might be able to get out for a couple of hours on Sunday if I'm lucky.

Then after a rest it'll be time for spring trout and then - my favourite of all - early summer tench B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Anderoo,

Is business ever really finished? I plan to get out Friday. I still have to get the yak fitted with a few things, namely a rod holder and anchor trolley. (still waiting on a few things for that). Should be cold and hopefully not too windy. This will be my third trip this season and don't want to spoil it with visions of grandure. My trips usually involve taking friends with me and hopefully putting them onto fish. One of the trips resulted in three jacks and a decent perch.

Are you going to post your results?

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Can't you still fish the rivers if you use worm for Trout ? ;)

I think I remember being told that you could actually on my stretch, not sure about anywhere else. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the close season? I'll pull out my fly rods for grayling and trout though I don't expect to catch many trout. I don't think they will be stocked until April.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Yes, but you can't take them to eat. :angry:;)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Even better, I fish rivers for trout with a fly. There are plenty of months in the year to coarse fish!

Jeff, you're right of course, it's never finished :D I'll let you know if anything interesting happens. I've had a very up-and-down season - big highs and lows and a lot more travelling than usual because Oxfordshire was underwater for most of the year...

But that chub still eludes me :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well the really big perch have avoided me for another season - just realised I've 'only' had one 3lber this season. I always try and get at least one PB a season and whilst I've had a PB brownie - would like to get a 'proper' one! In hindsight (aint that great) I've probably spent too much of these winter hunting down (and not really finding) really big dace (I'm talking fish in excess of ¾lb). Still got 3 maybe 4 sessions to squeeze in - with perch, chub, roach and dace still very much on the RADAR!

Fingers crossed for an end of season perch trip to match last year when I had 4, 3lbers in a morning!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

My first grayling came from the Lambourn today (not huge) along with a nice brownie, a roach and several small dace when I came across a shoal of them on the way back to the car. Rod bender of the day never got to my net even after frantic winding to try and keep tension in the line (I'd let the float go miles down the river).

Friday will be my last chance to get out but if I don't make it I'm very happy with my season, a new method and species I don't often catch. No unfinished business here but very much looking forward to next season.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

My first grayling came from the Lambourn today (not huge) along with a nice brownie, a roach and several small dace when I came across a shoal of them on the way back to the car. Rod bender of the day never got to my net even after frantic winding to try and keep tension in the line (I'd let the float go miles down the river).

Said you'd get one there ;) Very rare to get dace there!! There's a few escaped rainbows in the river at the moment - I expect you hooked one of them!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog