When can I fish for mackerel

Al White

Don't know what area you are fishing but the mackerel usually appear around the Kent coast in May.

Go here to get a picture next to your name:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...ic;f=6;t=005539

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Al

Tons of mackerel around your area at the moment - any deep water venue will have them all day, and other tidal venues will give them up especially on a flooding tide and approaching dusk.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%2...20-%20south.htm will give you some ideas.

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

I reckon there must be mackerel in the Cork area all the year round, surely.

11 is too young to be fishing off rocks without your dad being with you!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest jay_con

hi al,

Have you ever tried float fishing for makeral?

perhaps youll see it as something for older anglers, but float fishing is a really exciting method of catching makeral, why not give it a go. I wish someone had introduced me to float fishing when i was your age it really is the most exciting and challenging way to catch makeral.

yes there is loads of mackerel, around the south west they were starting to show round about april......that is very early, and that was from the shore!!!! so july id imagine would be the start of the peak season but i have known end of august maybe even start of september to be the best times. off a pier or harbour you can catch them even in october.

A good fish is not necessarily a big fish. What makes a good fish, is something well proportioned and healthy looking.

HTTP://WWW.MAD-FOR-FISHING.TK

Al.

Mackeral never leave our shores.

OK. The big shoals go out into deeper water in winter, which is the reason that all the `fluff chuckers` disappear from our shores. :D:D

But I`ve witnessed mackeral being caught on `New years eve`!! But they are so sparse, as to be not worth targetting.

I see float fishing has been mentioned already. My favourite method is spinning, especially from rocky marks. Something like a 1oz Dexter wedge, or toby lure will give you hours of fun with a light spinning outfit. You might even get a few garfish or pollack.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!