When can I fish for mackerel

Al White

Hi Al

A mackerel was caught in Cork Harbour by Jim Clohessy off his boat (over the turbot bank) in January, around the 6th I think. The larger fish move inshore around October, known as "jumbos" in Dublin or "horse mackerel", they can weight up to and occassionally exceeding 2 lbs in weight.

A german sprat is also a good lure for mackerel fishing and is available in almost every tackle shop - there is also the kilty catcher (try it in silver as it would be good for any bass too!).

Enjoy!

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Thanks Kieran, I usually use feathers or german spratts. A little bit of advice for anyone in the Cork area, excellent tackle shop in the Halfway village on the Bandon-Cork road.

Guest jay_con

It's them 59 and a half foot long makeral that stop you catching the cod. those with the big engines and large nets (they usually go about in pairs at the back of the bell bouy). Sometimes if your lucky youll see a large gray navy boat chasing those big makeral (if your lucky).

Best way to deal with those really long mackrel:

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest jay_con

fell off me stool again. you must be part brittish right?

lol

that naval frigot that hangs about at the tax payers expense has a pea shooter on the front