Superbowl

Vagabond

Looks like Newt (Carolina supporter ?) and I (have followed Denver Broncos since the days of John Elway) will be on opposite sides of the fence tomorrow.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nope Vagabond. Logical though since they are the only pro football team in North & South Carolina and so my local team.

- Green Bay Packers are always first but they had a poor end of the season this year and will be watching the game.

- Denver Broncos next - although if the quarterback Peyton Manning retires after this year as he well may (and probably should after the physical problems he's had and his age) then I'm not sure how I'll rate them.

- Carolina Panthers are a close third.

I expect Carolina will win but I am really hoping the Broncos can pull a rabbit out of the hat and beat them. At least this year I will enjoy the game and be happy enough with the outcome. The last 4-5 years I haven't even bothered to watch since I didn't give a pile of mouse manure about either of the teams.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nope Vagabond. Logical though since they are the only pro football team in North & South Carolina and so my local team.

- Green Bay Packers are always first but they had a poor end of the season this year and will be watching the game.

- Denver Broncos next -

Broncos it is, then

RNLI Governor

All,

Is the Superbowl a big deal??

The game is on CBS, a major US network. Coverage started at 1030 am. The game is at 530 pm. That seems to me to be a little overkill even for the most loyal fan.

Phone

It obviously is for some (quite a few) folks. Record number of deliveries of hot wings, pizza, etc. happen every year and advertisers pay some really silly money for air time so it benefits the network to extend the superbowl-related air time as much as possible.

I have my DVR set up to record the game so I'll check at the actual start time to make sure all is recording as it should then wait about an hour before starting the thing playing from the beginning. That way I can fast forward through the adverts and just enjoy the game.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I only watch the actual game, and find other things to do whilst the adverts, pundits chatter and general razz-ma-tazz goes on.

Same with cricket here. The BBC employ about six commentators and about a dozen "summarisers" to fill in between advertisers and actual cricket. I suppose that provides an income for retired test captains, but I really prefer to watch the real game rather than listen to someone else's (however erudite) opinion on it

Can't hear the commentary anyway, and switch the teletext off because it appears in blocks which hide much of the action.

Someone needs to invent a teletext that appears either at the top or the bottom - not in the middle of the screen.

Getting my drinks and snacks ready, watching american football requires energy replenishment :)

RNLI Governor

Broncos 24 Panthers 10 and a good game.

RNLI Governor

Still a bit in shock - happy but very surprised. Both teams played hard, both made mistakes, but the Broncos were opportunistic and the Panthers .... weren't.