Advice on method feeders

Ali MacDonald

I have recently started method feeder fishing but being a novice was not sure which size method feeder bits to use. My rod is a medium to heavy one with three size ends (4,5 and 6 oz) Can anyone help in telling me what size method feeder (cage type part ie what you put the groundbait on) that I should use ? They come in all sorts of sizes and I am looking to buy 10 plus for a reasonable price from a reputable website.

Thanks

Ali <_<

Hi there,

I use the fox Method feeder, which i prefer they are an in line feeder which allows me either to fish them semi fixed bolt rig style or free running depending on the swivel size that i use when tying the hook length.

The range comes in 14,28,35 and 60grms weights, i personally only use the 14 and 28 with my feeder rods with the 35 and 60 being reserved for use with my carp set ups, the thing is that you must not overload the feeder with ground bait just enough so that your rod can still handle the casting weight.

The feeders retail at £1.99 each so look for a good deal at say £1.50 or less for 10.

Korda also have a good feeder which is available in three sizes, these i like as well as the weight is set to one side so if you contain your baited hook within the ground bait ball you will know which side the ball should settle on the bottom, meaning your hook does not get buried under the feeder, also £1.99 each in sizes of 1.5, 2 and 3 ozs.

Regards.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Ali,

I also have just recently started feeder fishing. I was unsure about what size feeder to get and everything else connected to using feeders. I asked my mates about what they knew on the subject and then when buying the feeders the my local tackle shop asked what they would reccommend and then bought the ones I thought would be best given the information I'd been given.

I can't remember what make they are but I got them because they looked like just the thing I wanted not the make.

Dan.

Edited by carphead100

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. What confuses me is the ratio ie what end part( ie 4.5.6oz) to size of method feeder (14 or3 5 gm etc..?? Does that make sense ?

The quiver tips for your rod does not relate to a casting weight, what the rating relates to is the stiffness of the quiver tip and you decide on what tip to use dependant on the type of fishing and weather conditions.

Should you be fishing a venue for carp that take the bait in a positive fashion then you may decide to use your 6ozs tip, should the weather be very windy and blowing hard or you are fishing a fast flowing river you may also decide to use the 6ozs tip.

On the other hand should more finesse be required with shy bites and the condition be very calm then the lighter 4OZS tip may be selected.

I hope this helps. As i said before i would only use the lighter feeders on my feeder rods, unless i was using my 2.25 TC carp rods with buzzers or bobbins

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.