Signal crayfish Loch Ken.

Hi,

I have fished Loch Ken for some 15 yrs now and the AS crayfish issue is of great concern. I have had dialogue with the authorities and Scottish Natural Heritage.

Whilst something is about to be done by these authorities, I would welcome all experiences regarding this issue and the potential for anglers not visiting the loch as a result of the As infestation.

I keep a boat there and have witnessed the potential ecological demise of the water over the last five or six years. The Loch is such a water, that provides good income to the local economy by the likes of myself and many others.

I am trying to build a case for the authorities to create a sustainable removal of the alien species that can and will alter the water in a most negative fashion.

Please respond with your views.

Andrew

hi andrew just been bream fishing lock ken 5days over 400lb .i fished alover very little cray fish activity they have started trapping over 100.000 first week,i put pike dead bait in also not been touched ,only other thing why tyhey not there they must be in fishes spawning ground,matter of time locals scratching there heads where they have gone

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have fished Loch Ken for some 15 yrs now and the AS crayfish issue is of great concern. I have had dialogue with the authorities and Scottish Natural Heritage.

Whilst something is about to be done by these authorities, I would welcome all experiences regarding this issue and the potential for anglers not visiting the loch as a result of the As infestation.

I keep a boat there and have witnessed the potential ecological demise of the water over the last five or six years. The Loch is such a water, that provides good income to the local economy by the likes of myself and many others.

I am trying to build a case for the authorities to create a sustainable removal of the alien species that can and will alter the water in a most negative fashion.

Please respond with your views.

Andrew

Andrew, the problem with removal, is its impossible for humans to stop the population growth again.

Eggs can be transported in from miles away via water birds, as an example. And because these crays are not in their natural environment, they have little threatening their success rate. I imagine Crays can spawn huge number of eggs in a very short space of time.

I commend you for at least trying, but in reality I dont see it being beneficial in the long run.

• 1 year later...