rowing boats

barrowlad

Hi all great forum this been lurking for a while now being a newbie to freshwater fishing and i fancy getting a small lightweight rowing boat to fish the lakes in ,ive been looking a while now and im thinking along the lines of something like a 10ft sniper dory or a 8 to 10ft pram dinghy hopefully car topable as i dont fancy going to the expence of a trailer ,question is are they suitble for large lakes like coniston derwentwater or bassenthwaite ?are they stabel fishing platforms?ile be on my own in the main but on hot summer days{remember those}ide imagin the wife might want to come along ,any info from boat owners out there would be great thanks rob.ps has anyone fished from one of those bic 252 small rowers?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all great forum this been lurking for a while now being a newbie to freshwater fishing and i fancy getting a small lightweight rowing boat to fish the lakes in ,ive been looking a while now and im thinking along the lines of something like a 10ft sniper dory or a 8 to 10ft pram dinghy hopefully car topable as i dont fancy going to the expence of a trailer ,question is are they suitble for large lakes like coniston derwentwater or bassenthwaite ?are they stabel fishing platforms?ile be on my own in the main but on hot summer days{remember those}ide imagin the wife might want to come along ,any info from boat owners out there would be great thanks rob.ps has anyone fished from one of those bic 252 small rowers?

There will be days when it would be OK, but I'm not sure i would say safe as the conditions can change very fast on the bigger lakes.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

probably a flat bottomed boat would be more stable for a single user than a dingy type ,dingeys are hard to get back in if you fall out and tend to turn over easier.

we use a old one on the pond and so long as the skin is unbroken they are pretty stable but heavier than single skin dingies

the chap in it and i (both 18 stone his more muscle) and lots of lime bags easily fit in and its very stable as long as you both dont try to get out the same side at once

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have a bic 252. I have just bought it from a friend and to be honest don't envisage using it very much but it was a good price.

He used it on the oar or electric motor for float trolling. There is loads of room in it for one. It is flat bottomed as well.

It has a wheel which means you can put your gear in it and wheel it in for launch.

It goes on my roof rack but is probably just too heavy for one (well for me but i am a bit of a weed)

I would only consider using it on the big lakes on calm days were the weather is settled and you are unlikely to be hit by a storm.

Well worth looking at.

Regards,

Martin

Sorry, but such boats are totally unsuitable for the big lakes you mentioned. There you need a bigger, much more stable boat as the wind can suddendly pick up on such waters.

They're fine though for small lakes like most gravel pits. Indeed, I've used a 10ft Sniper (I used to sell them but they're no longer made) on my own gravel pits. And yes, they are car-toppable.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Your best option for a smallish, light, stable, and safe-on-large-lakes fishing boat is probably a kayak. The ones designed for sea fishing should do nicely and can certainly be carried on a car top.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks fellas .Chesters is that a 10ft sniper looks like one that im after ,if it is have you any idea how heavy it is out of water ?is it car topable? again thanks.

it is just ,ours have many holes in so its very wet inside (frost expanding the water enlages the gap and makes the polystyrene hold water) so a good one should be do-able

the clubs never had a new one so i dont know how heavy they are bar our leaky ones.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, but such boats are totally unsuitable for the big lakes you mentioned. There you need a bigger, much more stable boat as the wind can suddendly pick up on such waters.

They're fine though for small lakes like most gravel pits. Indeed, I've used a 10ft Sniper (I used to sell them but they're no longer made) on my own gravel pits. And yes, they are car-toppable.

come on i'v been up and down the solent in one their safe when used with sense ,an outboard though is sense but rowable in all but hard wind ,you can get in trouble with big boats just as easy :D

we had a perfectly flat bottomed one 50% longer and it was a pig in a breeze ,at least there are some small "hulls" on the other one to stop you going sideways.

a kyak makes sense but you mentioned stable and passengers and boat and car roof :D

weve been out in kids inflatables as well just to prove a dingy is safe :D

Edited by chesters1