Tope - result of consultation

I personally think Defra need congratulating for the 5% bycatch on Spurdog introduced last December and now this on tope. The team responsible for elasmobranches at Defra are doing everything they can to introduce sensible shark management.

Hi Ian

I'd prefer to congratulate you and SOS and all those who contributed to the consultation (the 92%).

I find it hard to congratulate those that are paid handsomely enough to manage our fisheries on our behalf, bearing in mind the state of our stocks, but I would concede that some have earned their keep more recently, so a :clap: to them at the elasmobracnches dept.

Do you think that they would like to transfer to the Coastal Waters Policy Unit or the Fishing Industry Management Division where their foresight is sorely needed :wallbash: ?

Regards

Steve

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for being thick Ian, but what are they proposing exactly? No commercial fishing for Cod and total catch and release for anglers?

Hi Steve

There is no quick answer to this. IN Angling Centres we hope to kick out the damaging commercial practise and providing stocks are healthy allow anglers to take home fish

The cod stocks on the East and North coast of Scotland are according to the Marine Directorate improving so no problem there.

The West coast however is a different matter.

You need to read the "forgotten sea" and then "angling Centres" to see our position

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Steve

There is no quick answer to this. IN Angling Centres we hope to kick out the damaging commercial practise and providing stocks are healthy allow anglers to take home fish

The cod stocks on the East and North coast of Scotland are according to the Marine Directorate improving so no problem there.

The West coast however is a different matter.

You need to read the "forgotten sea" and then "angling Centres" to see our position

Where can I read those those? I googled Angling Centres yesterday and all I got was a list of tackle shops!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Defra need congratulating!. What planet are you from?. What difference do you honestly think this is going to make. Tope are still going to caught and thrown back dead, another massive step forward in fish conservation. I bet this consultation has cost millions of pounds and a few years to dream up, when you would get a more efficient measure from the nearest primary school. Its so convenient that our European neighbours are yet again unaffected. Out of interest was the idea of introducing an MLS ever discussed?.

I am from a planet that in 1988 I could catch a thousand double figure spurdog a day from shoals 5 miles across and considered them a pest. On this same planet by 1993 they had all gone. My boats have caught three in 14 years.

I am seeing the same depressing scenario with tope, Not only have the numbers declined in the UK over the last three years but commercial landing in France and Spain have dropped by 40 per cent since 2002. The stocks cannot stand that rate of exploitation particularly when the larger females are sought.

As restriction increase on the spurdog population to try and rebuild the population and expected protection for Porgies and Blues then the demand for tope or soupfin shark as it is called elsewhere will increase.

You are quite right that our European neighbours are not affected, which is why SOS is pleased both Defra and Johnathon Shaw are lobbying the commission to make it Eu law

The fisheries minister wrote "I realise that this Order is a unilateral measure and does not apply to other Member States' vessels. However, I believe that the European Shark Plan of Action currently being drafted by the European Commission will provide an opportunity to coordinate management measures such as these and research undertaken by Member States in order to protect vulnerable shark species and I will be working hard with my officials to ensure that it does so".

Don't forget the reason the original consultation was proposed was as a result of a commercial businessman trying to set up a National targeting for tope. Do you honestly believe that as European Commercial fishermen fish down the foodchain that tope stocks would have remained healthy.

Where can I read those those? I googled Angling Centres yesterday and all I got was a list of tackle shops!

Sorry Steve

Heads in the shed this morning I forgot to put the link in

http://www.ssacn.org/ssacn-library/ssacn-papers/

Read the "forgotten sea" and "Collapsing Clyde" and then Angling centres to get a true picture

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

My concern is that if phrases like 'tope are UK's first angling only species' are used by anglers, then Defra and our fisheries Minister will pick it up and say - 'look what we are doing for sea anglers - we've made tope a recreational only species. Now pay us your licence money'.

I just think that we are better focusing on the conservation value of the decision than blowing Defra's trumpet for them ;) .

Regards

Steve

Steve,

That is exactly what happened at the meeting back in November that I attended on behalf of SOS. They announced it "officially" with only the level of bycatch to be sorted out. It was "picked up" as a "look what we have done for you" statement even before they announced it, the sceptics amongst you may even go as far as to say thats the only reason they brought it in.

It was all they had to offer anglers and they were told in no uncertain terms by those present that although commendable, Tope angling is a minority part of our sport and not to expect a pat on the back. Its noticable that the subject no longer gets mentioned in discussions.

As a NE angler I am very concerned that if you change the word Tope to Bass in your comment it would express my concerns about the direction discussions with Defra are going. Defra never get a chance to speak about or take into consideration any other species as they seem to be the sole topic of conservation, a quick look through the draft NFSA consultation response is all you need to realise that. Even the plight of the humble flounder, which for many of us was our first fish and a means to get newcomers into the sport, has been largely ignored.

The tope is a done deal and as Ian has said its time to take that one to the EU and hope things can be improved there.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

As a NE angler I am very concerned that if you change the word Tope to Bass in your comment it would express my concerns about the direction discussions with Defra are going. Defra never get a chance to speak about or take into consideration any other species as they seem to be the sole topic of conservation, a quick look through the draft NFSA consultation response is all you need to realise that. Even the plight of the humble flounder, which for many of us was our first fish and a means to get newcomers into the sport, has been largely ignored.

Hi Dave

My response to the question Which species of fish do you value most (RSA strategy consultation) is as follows -

Of the fish that I specifically set out to catch my ‘top 10’ species are bass, cod, conger eel, flounder, mullet, pollock, smoothhound, spurdog, tope and wrasse (alphabetically listed).

It's a question that Defra are asking, presumably to identify which fish are important to anglers, so an ideal opportunity to let them know via the consultation process.

I'm sure that the current problems with flounder was made a special mention of and put forward by David Rowe (NFSA) as one of the top three favourites amongst anglers at a RSA/Defra meeting that I attended in Nov 07.

Whether Defra took any heed is another matter.

Regards

Steve

No one mentions the humble mackerel, it's not on the nfsa list. I would have thought the amount of pleasure it gives first timers and the importance of a bait fish it would a least get on a list somewhere.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• 3 months later...
Tope in Wales are protected from today

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/wales/w...i_20081438_en_1

Does this include for a commercial bycatch.

cancel that i've just read it again. :headhurt: So it's exactly the same as the english one?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Let's hope that this is pushed further up to EU level. I personally can't understand why regulations made on conservation grounds shouldn't apply to ALL boats fishing in the area in question. If I go on holiday in Spain I am allowed to drive on my UK licence, much as they are allowed to fish in our waters, but I have to obey THEIR traffic regulations, not ours!