DVD problems

poledark

I have been succesfully making DVD's for a while now, but I now get this message....

Drive has been reset, most likely due by another application or due to a SCSI/IDE configuratipn problem.

'SFMMCX'-(17)

''-(4)

-'HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L S742'-(0)

Module sfmmcx.cpp Line 1819

The drive state has changed.

A power-on reset or bus-reset has occurred.

Command: 04 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Sense: 06 29 00

I have removed the Sony patch which allows WMP to read MPEG2 files (which was why I loaded it)

I have reinstalled dvd software for my second dvd writer, but not for the original writer (preinstalled)

Any ideas?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm no expert but the line in your description 'reset, most likely due by another application ' reminds me of an issue I've had with TFTP.

The fix was to open task manager (ctrl/alt/del) then 't' and look for another application which was currently running and effectively blocking the application that I wanted to use. In my case it was a socket. I'm sure Ian will be along shortly to sort you out.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Thanks for that Jeff.

Appears to be sorted now :)

Bit of a puzzle really, when I bought my HD video camera it came with software (good stuff). This enables me to convert AVCHD files to MPEG2. The Sony software enables WMP to read these files, and also enables my PC to write DVD,s in MPEG2, and I have been doing this for almost 6 months.

Exactly when it stopped working I am not sure, only a few days ago, but I had not added any software to the PC, I only D/L a patch (and paid for it) to "solve the problem"

Anyway, I removed the patch, ran system restore...no good. Rolled back the drivers....no good. I then ran the recovery disc, but only did a partial recovery, including the DVD writers.

Bingo :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Thanks for that Jeff.

Appears to be sorted now :)

Bit of a puzzle really, when I bought my HD video camera it came with software (good stuff). This enables me to convert AVCHD files to MPEG2. The Sony software enables WMP to read these files, and also enables my PC to write DVD,s in MPEG2, and I have been doing this for almost 6 months.

Exactly when it stopped working I am not sure, only a few days ago, but I had not added any software to the PC, I only D/L a patch (and paid for it) to "solve the problem"

Anyway, I removed the patch, ran system restore...no good. Rolled back the drivers....no good. I then ran the recovery disc, but only did a partial recovery, including the DVD writers.

Bingo :)

Den

Excellent! I think I'll run a backup now since you reminded me. Seems my laptop is always in suspend when it wants to run one. :)

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Not what I expected to be posting for my "5000th", but sorry to say I am back to square one again.......hey ho, keep trying.

How can I backup my Favourites list?

Den

How can I backup my Favourites list?

Den

Hi

Are you using IE7? If so, with IE7 open, go to File>Import and Export>Next>Export Favorites.

Re your DVD drive problem.

Apparently this is sometimes caused by Sony CD Architect, OR an ASPI layer problem, though in this case I doubt it. You could remove the drive(s) using Device Manager, and let Windoze detect them again on startup.

How do you create your DVD's? Do you have two (or more) burning applications installed?

Could you download and run this http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and PM me the result?

Cheers

Ian.

Ian, thanks for reply, and advice re backups.

I have been searching google and it does appear to be a Sony Architect problem. Several forums mention it, but no answers yet. Writers both work OK with data and videos, but only on to CD. But at least I know the writers are working OK.

A couple of guys have had exactly the same problem as me, i.e. everything worked fine for about 5/6 months, and problem started for no apparent reason (no updates or new software added)

Den

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Den

Edited by poledark

Thanks Den

You can blank that post now (I've copied it); it has serial numbers on it. I'll have a closer read tomorrow.

DVD/CD writers use different lasers for writing to DVD and CD, but I consider it unlikely that both would give up the ghost at the same time. However, have you a USB writer that you could try?

I am not overly familiar with the AVCHD video format; it's a proprietory format used by Sony and Panasonic.

Having rooted a bit, I (personally) would bin Architect. In fact, I would remove all burning/video editing software from the PC, and reinstall one at a time, testing each one as you go.

Then have a read of this (or have a read of this first):

http://www.jakeludington.com/camcorder/200...camcorders.html

A quote from there reads "the lousy software Sony ships".

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by IanR