Haltwhistle Angling Club

Steven Osborne

Hi to everyone from a new member.

I have only limited experience with fly fishing as I have just completed two day long training sessions, and a few day sessions on stillwaters, even though I have fished for over 20 years accross many coarse styles.

I have been looking to join a club near to where I live (Catton, 5 mins from Langley Dam) and have been told about the Haltwhistle Angling Club. Hopefully, being with likeminded souls will help me progress and I can enjoy some of the social side of this sport as well as starting out with some river fishing for brown trout and grayling (if there are any about).

Can anyone help with how I go about joining the Haltwhistle Club? (I have been told to contact Phil Dean but have no idea as to how to go about this).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Steve.

i recommend putting a question on anglers net to get hold of Phil Dean , it works well :D

I think that your outside our area for automatic membership and may only be able to join as a season visitor, for which there's a 4 year waiting list, you may be within the catchment for Haydon Bridge However.

I'll check and get back to you.

PM me in the meantime if you have any further questions.

cheers

phil

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hello Oldtimer, looks like you've just had a rise to your fly, wonder how you found this site

As an aside you'll probably find this site a feast of information without some of the nonesence you see elsewhere with lots of knowledgeable anglers who are'nt afraid to share a bit of hard earned knowledge

more info on that will come via a pm.

Think you may find he cant pm you as he's not got the 15 posts needed to pm.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Think you may find he cant pm you as he's not got the 15 posts needed to pm.

In which case, I'd suggest you have a look at the Derwent Angling Association website, which, even though it's not been updated in a while, will still give you a taste of what's on offer. The club controls the river from the reservoir down to Lintzford, which I think works out to about eight miles. I joined last season and it was money well spent - the Derwent is a lovely little river and stuffed full of brownies and a fair few grayling too. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's no more than a couple of minutes from my door either. (Funnily enough, I bought my 2008 book this afternoon.)

Another possibility - and now that I've had a look at Catton on Google Maps, probably rather nearer home - is Brampton AA, who control a fair stretch of the Gelt and the Irthing, just past Haltwhistle. I've not fished their water, but according to the website, it's good for brownies and grayling. They're members of the Cumberland & Westmorland Angling Alliance, so you also get the bonus of plenty of exchange tickets if you fancy a day out and a change of scenery. I was thinking about joining last season but never got round to it, but think I might take the plunge this time.

I'm pretty sure there's also an angling club at Alston, but I'm a bit vague about the details of that one... Anyone know anything about this?

it's a shame the grayling don't get up to our stretch of the irthing, it's probably a bit too high up.

the annon's not that far away and that has good runs of salmon and some great grayling.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 2 weeks later...

our first stretch of waters are just above the bombing range, above gilsland, we have some execellent fishing near the confluence with butterburn, had a 1lb+ fish there last year, which is large for this part of the river.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY