Fishing the East and West Allen Rivers

Steven Osborne

Has anyone any experience of fishing either the East Allen (near Allendale, Northumberland) or the West Allen which runs close by?

The East Allen runs behind my house and looks inviting for some intermate fishing even if the water is low at times. I have been told that both the East and West Allen hold brown trout even though I've never seen any or my many walks along the banks.

I've never seen anyone fishing the East Allen but I'm told that browns are about, I just don't know where to start or who controls the rights. I've also been told about some waterfall pools on the West Allen that can hold fish (areas seen on map but not personally).

Hope someone can shed light on these minor rivers as it would be nice to have gentle fishing right behind my house.

Steve.

Steve

Phil Dean may know more about this than me; but both rivers had a reputaion for producing big Sea Trout as well as the population of Wild Brownies, I believe you used to be able to get Day Tickets for the East Allen from Allendale Post Office, but that was over thiry years ago and things will undoubtably have changed.

If you can find out more I would love to join you on a late evening fish in what are two of the prettiest rivers in the County

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hi Tony, where are you located as your avatar area says Kent which has confused me a little.

I know Phil in the Allendale Post Office so will have a chat with him later tonight and see what I can find out.

Steve

I am based in Kent, but I am Northumbrian by birth and antecedence, though I lived in Newcastle for most of my early life (which was spent fishing and wandering the moors of Northumberland).

I normally get back up north two or three times a year and I always try to include a fishing trip while I am there.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Season permits for a stretch of the West Allen are available from Whitfield Estates office in Whitfield.

I believe Allendale post office still do the permits for the East Allen but not 100%.

Both rivers get a run of sea trout and the occasional salmon at the backend of the season.

You can often see the sea trout jumping the Weir formed by the bridge footings on the West Allen behind the Elks Head pub in late september/October/November when the river is in spate. Unfortunatly this is just about as far as they have access to due to the big Weir just upstream.

The waterfall pool is just downstream from the caravan park above Whitfield and if off limits.

there is a good run of sea trout and some salmon nose up that way.

plenty of brownies too.

i've asked the question about fishing rights, I believe that allendale has a club, also some waters are held by a police fishing club. I don't know the details, sorry, if the river is in your property were the fishing rights excluded or is your documentation silent?

If you own up to the bank then the ad milium filum rule may apply and you effectively own up to half way across.

any more info and I'll have to charge :D

cheers

phil

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

there is a good run of sea trout and some salmon nose up that way.

plenty of brownies too.

i've asked the question about fishing rights, I believe that allendale has a club, also some waters are held by a police fishing club. I don't know the details, sorry, if the river is in your property were the fishing rights excluded or is your documentation silent?

If you own up to the bank then the ad milium filum rule may apply and you effectively own up to half way across.

any more info and I'll have to charge :D

cheers

phil

• 3 weeks later...

I am updating our website for our cottage nearby and want to know about fishing rights. My google search brought me here. If you do find out the details, I'd really like to know. We've seen salmon leaping at the bridge.

Many thanks, Ruth