Is anybody there?

Kappa

Anybody been fishing?

I was out today. Two pike on the ultralight setup using the ever so fasionable "Ned Rig". Then a baby perch. Considering the condition of the Thames Im pretty pleased with that!

Spent the afternoon chasing commercial perch. No really big ones but I had 12 or so in a few hours!

Anyone else been out?

I spent an hour and a half on a local gravel pit last weekend trying jerkbaits for the first time (part of my goal to use bigger lure and eventually fish some reservoirs for pike at some point).

Didn't expect to catch anything but a perch easily over 2lb first cast made me feel a bit better, I didn't weigh it though because although I'm 100% it attacked the lure no hook caught in the mouth and it was foul hooked so I didn't weigh it :-(.

Next moved to a second swim out of the cold wind and into a shallow bay where I though the silver fish might be due to the warm sub heating up the water and I had 4 bites and landed 2 (the biggest being just over 9lb. A couple more swims on that gravel pit but wanted to try the other pit in the country park so moved across but none of the swims where really out of the wind on this lake so I concentrated on the areas with the most bird life (hoping they would be sat near food/warmer water and the prey fish would be there also). Managed another 3-4 bites and landed 2 the biggest being only about 5lbs.

So a fairly successful first try with a new type of lure, anyone else use jerkbaits and have any to recommend? I'm coverted now :-)

Edited by Errrm

I haven't fished for ages! Once I've kicked this latest illness hopefully I'll be back out there. I haven't been chubbing once this winter...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A friend and I had a " spur of the minuite", couple of hours legering before the sun went down today and then fished another hour into dark, it was a change for me as I usually always float fish. It was a cold day of about 3 degrees but the blustery downstream wind made it feel seriously cold! The river was only about a foot and a half up on normal level but was still quite coloured. Anyhow the fish weren't fast in coming but we did get a few chub and a seriously large roach came off my hook right at the waters edge. The first chub was the biggest at 4lb 10 ounces, the rest varied between 3lb and 4lb so no large chub showed up. If we'd been able to stand the cold and stay a little longer we might have got lucky and hooked a bigger one but it was so bone chillingly cold in that wind we had to pack up and make tracks home. It was a relief to get back in the car and switch the heater on!

feb%2013%20chub_edited-1.jpg

Had a great day on the Itchen with Chris & the IAC yesterday and then used up leftover maggots on the Thames with JV44, Steve Walker and Keith this afternoon. It was a really enjoyable afternoon jousting with Keith for the best roach of the day...I shaded it with this plump example weighing 1-06 according to my scales or 1-03 according to Steve Walker's, whatever it was a roach over a pound;

DSCN1425_zpsb0lvipsx.jpg

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Wow, a beautiful roach. Congrats!

J

Had a great day on the Itchen with Chris & the IAC yesterday and then used up leftover maggots on the Thames with JV44, Steve Walker and Keith this afternoon. It was a really enjoyable afternoon jousting with Keith for the best roach of the day...I shaded it with this plump example weighing 1-06 according to my scales or 1-03 according to Steve Walker's, whatever it was a roach over a pound;

DSCN1425_zpsb0lvipsx.jpg

john clarke

To be honest I've spent the winter sea fishing hence the very low profile

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan