Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Bike chains (as used for some carp bobbins) were where we got the initial chain idea from Phil.Problem is that in the lengths we think we need they are just to heavy.Weve been looking at "plastic" chains to overcome the weight issue but as said the ones avaiable cost a lot of dough.Richard made some up that worked but were still a bit to bulky for my liking.Im looking forward to seeing his Mkll version!

Trouble is I am kind of with you as I worry that by getting them delicate/light enough we will loose the rigidity we need to make them work.Your point about twisting and therefore "locking up" could well be the main problem if we can get them light enough.

Hey Budgie,

I've bought heaps of stuff from these people. Look down the page, and you will find a set of pieces to make 670mm of plastic chain (weighing in at 51 grams) for under a fiver.

TECHNOBOTS

Cheers,

Arf

Edited by Arf

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

Hey Budgie,

I've bought heaps of stuff from these people. Look down the page, and you will find a set of pieces to make 670mm of plastic chain (weighing in at 51 grams) for under a fiver.

TECHNOBOTS

Cheers,

Arf

Nice one Arf! Anything there look as if it would do the job Rich?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nice one Arf! Anything there look as if it would do the job Rich?

Hi Arf & Budgie,

Yeah I've seen this stuff before (but not in the flesh) and didn't really fancy it. I was worried about the strength and the potential for twisting and bending in the wrong directions.

Budgie, my chain MKI was quite bulky, but part of this is because I wanted a hollow tube to pass my cable through. MKII uses a semicircular hollow trunking which is smaller and lighter. I have also made modifications to increase the strength and durability of the chains. I'm going to make some more up tonight, I can send you some or wait until I next see you?

Rich

All very interesting but it take you 24 pages to arrive at the point that you need light arm indicators with a bobbin on the top. Sorry Guy the 3 counties mere bream anglers have had them for over 25 years, I know because I made most of them.

Sorry guys the wheel has already been made.

All very interesting Phil but I don't think everything I want on my ultimate BOBBIN is available. All I need is:

A bobbin head that:

Has add on weights

Has an adjustable line clip

Has an adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin at night.

Has a different colour adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin for 30 seconds when the alarm sounds (this has to be activated by the sounder socket on a micron M which does not have a power out socket)

A bobbin cord that is wind proof and that allows for a drop of at least 5 foot

Finally I need all this for less than 15 quid per bobbin.

Let me know where I can get four.

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

Richard, have a look at the new Fox Springlok hangers......................

Might answer some of your questions :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

But its only got 1 of the seven features I want!

Perhaps I should clarify, I now have a design that is my ultimate bobbin. I keep being told it already exists and I'm trying to reinvent the wheel, but I haven't found anything on the market close to what I want. Maybe I missed it but there is nothing close for anywhere near the right price.

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

All very interesting Phil but I don't think everything I want on my ultimate BOBBIN is available. All I need is:

A bobbin head that:

Has add on weights

Has an adjustable line clip

Has an adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin at night.

Has a different colour adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin for 30 seconds when the alarm sounds (this has to be activated by the sounder socket on a micron M which does not have a power out socket)

Finally I need all this for less than 15 quid per bobbin.

Let me know where I can get four.

Thanks,

Rich

Has add on weights - Make your own.... Clear tube, insert brass bolt (bottom end) with hole drilled down it to take cable. Screw nuts on as added weight. 75 p

Has an adjustable line clip - Do away with the hair grip type and go for the small cable ties they run free on the line at all time unlike the hair grips that tend to grip the line. 0r blag em off a sparky

Has an adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin at night. Mapplins or Radio Spares electronics about £1 each

Has a different colour adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin for 30 seconds when the alarm sounds (this has to be activated by the sounder socket on a micron M which does not have a power out socket) Need to set up the timing with resistors 10 p each. Or use a timing chip, a 555 Timing chip should do it with a 5 ohm resistor. Small piece of veryboard to set it all up on £1.50-£2

you'll need a small waterproof project box to house it in and it needs to be clipped on the buzzbars with small terry clips £ 3 tops

You also need to put a jack plug socket (70p) into the microns (underneath to stop water getting in it) Connect 2 wires to the LED (cathode and Anode) on the micron with the same connection on the LED in the bobbin.

Bloody hell how tall are you.....a 5ft drop! Never in 35 years of breaming have I known anyone to need more than 24 inches drop. Any wire you put through whatever you use as cord will add stiffness to it.

Windproof "cord" is attempting to achieve the unachievable. Accept that some sort of chain may do it, but never cord.

There you go all requirements met I think!

Edited by phil hackett

phil h.

Has an adjustable brightness LED that illuminates the bobbin at night. Mapplins or Radio Spares electronics about £1 each

Oh I forgot, to ajust the brightness you'll need a variable pot (potention meter) for this £1 25-£2

Wow thanks Phil, lucky you were here to help, is there anything you don't know?

Now all I need to do is make it...

Rich

You also need to put a jack plug socket (70p) into the microns (underneath to stop water getting in it) Connect 2 wires to the LED (cathode and Anode) on the micron with the same connection on the LED in the bobbin.

Aah I would never thought of putting a jack plug on the bottom. I'm still confused, what is a cathode and anode?

Thanks again,

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper