Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Very clear Budgie :)

Redmire carp grew to enormous size without carp baits, but were still catchable on ordinary baits. But only 50 were stocked into an almost virgin water with vast bloodworm beds in the shallow end.

Andrew, don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but most of my mates wait for the line to pull from the baitrunner before picking up the rod. Sometimes they pull into rod shakes, sometimes drop backs. Note I did not say strike. Various combinations ocur, but with a true liner, the bobbin will go up, the line tightens and the bobbin drops back. If it doesn't, then it is a bite. In your case, it stayed up :)

There is a very old saying in match bream fishing about "sitting on your hands"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

. I can only deduce that the water was very rich in food and that the Bream had no competition.

There in a nut shell is the answer!

Some years before, probably 5, really can't remember, another mere of 45 acres , was doing fish just under the official record weight by about 1lb. The anglers that were fish it seriously and having the odd few fish out of it, speculated as to how many bream were actually in the mere. The only other fish that were known to be in it were tench, perch, 12 carp and a few very thin pike. We know there was 12 carp, because Bob Henderson and his mates put them in from the Isle Lake in 1968. Bob told me they put 12 in this mere and 6 in every other mere on the Cheshire Shropshire boarder anglers had access to.

The 12 carp were never fished for by carp anglers at that time. So no HNV bait was going in!

To try and find out just how many were in, one of the anglers had access to fish marker dye. So he and his mate marked all the fish they caught with a spot of this dye left-hand side middle of the flank. In total they marked 10 fish between 8lb 8oz and 11lb 12oz. The marked fish time and time again came out in the catches that were made, and three fish was a very good catch indeed in anyone session. The norm was one fish per month if you were lucky. By a Heath Robinson formula we arrived at the figure of between 25 - 30 fish in the mere.

I subsequently (17 years later) ran the same information through a population density statistical programme whilst at University doing a degree in Environmental Studies and Ecology. That programme gave a figure of 42 fish.

This mere was as Tinca has said about Cop mere, extremely rich in aquatic food. With such abundant food supply and a low stock density of all fish in 45 acres of mere, is in my mind, the reason it produces these out-sized fish. Many of the other meres in the same glacial fault that created it, were only producing fish of 7-9 lb range. They also didn't have the abundant food supply this one did.

To illustrate this belief further, in the early to mid 90s roach got in the mere and exploded, within two years these bream went from the colossus they were at that time, to razor blades of very poor condition. I actually caught one of the marked fish and it weighed 6lb 5oz

phil h.

Andrew, don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but most of my mates wait for the line to pull from the baitrunner before picking up the rod. Sometimes they pull into rod shakes, sometimes drop backs. Note I did not say strike. Various combinations ocur, but with a true liner, the bobbin will go up, the line tightens and the bobbin drops back. If it doesn't, then it is a bite. In your case, it stayed up :)

I did, the bobbin rose slowly to the rod and by the time it had got there I was standing next to it. I must have stood there for two full minutes waiting for it to either fall back (liner) or for the baitrunner to start clicking away (run). But all that happened was the rod tip was gently knocking, so in the end I risked it and pulled into the fish, which luckily was on the other end after all. As you say, no need to 'strike', it was already hooked and was obviously just sitting there shaking its head trying to throw the hook.

Bream are bream no matter how big they are, same as carp and tench and roach. Good basic angling will catch them provided you get the location right.

Yes, I agree to a point. Location and feeding are everything, with a good dollop of luck thrown in. But trying to catch a very large bream that wanders around with two or three others is different to catching a 6lber from a shoal of 50.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Interesting about the razor blades Phil, I have seen this happen to bream that were all about 15lbs before being moved to a smaller shallower water. Most are down to 6/7 lbs now.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Another interesting factor regarding Cop Mere was that the Bream were never as far as I know successfull in spawning and it was concluded that whatever fry that was produced either escaped into the river or was decimated through predation which is why the the already low numbers at that time appeared to reduce over the years. On reflection the only fish that seemed to thrive were the Tench coupled with periodical explosions of Perch and of course Eels. It was very strange as just down the road from the Mere was another pool which held a wide range of species.

There in a nut shell is the answer!

Some years before, probably 5, really can't remember, another mere of 45 acres , was doing fish just under the official record weight by about 1lb. The anglers that were fish it seriously and having the odd few fish out of it, speculated as to how many bream were actually in the mere. The only other fish that were known to be in it were tench, perch, 12 carp and a few very thin pike. We know there was 12 carp, because Bob Henderson and his mates put them in from the Isle Lake in 1968. Bob told me they put 12 in this mere and 6 in every other mere on the Cheshire Shropshire boarder anglers had access to.

The 12 carp were never fished for by carp anglers at that time. So no HNV bait was going in!

To try and find out just how many were in, one of the anglers had access to fish marker dye. So he and his mate marked all the fish they caught with a spot of this dye left-hand side middle of the flank. In total they marked 10 fish between 8lb 8oz and 11lb 12oz. The marked fish time and time again came out in the catches that were made, and three fish was a very good catch indeed in anyone session. The norm was one fish per month if you were lucky. By a Heath Robinson formula we arrived at the figure of between 25 - 30 fish in the mere.

I subsequently (17 years later) ran the same information through a population density statistical programme whilst at University doing a degree in Environmental Studies and Ecology. That programme gave a figure of 42 fish.

This mere was as Tinca has said about Cop mere, extremely rich in aquatic food. With such abundant food supply and a low stock density of all fish in 45 acres of mere, is in my mind, the reason it produces these out-sized fish. Many of the other meres in the same glacial fault that created it, were only producing fish of 7-9 lb range. They also didn't have the abundant food supply this one did.

To illustrate this belief further, in the early to mid 90s roach got in the mere and exploded, within two years these bream went from the colossus they were at that time, to razor blades of very poor condition. I actually caught one of the marked fish and it weighed 6lb 5oz

That's very interesting stuff Phil, and ties in with something I've been thinking about. If there were, say, 40 bream in that mere and in total they caught and marked 10 of them, that means three-quarters of all the bream in the lake remained uncaught, while recaptures of the other quarter did occur. Why do you think that was?

On the lake I and others here fish for bream, I think something similar is happening. Out of a total of (at a guess) 30-40 bream there have been recaptures of some fish and I'm sure that others have never visited the bank...

Makes you think doesn't it! Do you do what's been successful in the past or try something completely different?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Budgie, I will try again :)

www.gofishing.co.uk/news/News-Search-Results

Doesn't want to work :) I googled for big bream and found this site and there is a piece by an EA man called Dai who has had some whoppers, 10mm Tutti frutti topped with corn, and short 4" hooklengths.

Can I copy and paste or is there a copyright issue?

Den

Edited by poledark

Im going to make no appologies as its inevitable this thread and the bream one were going to "merge"!

Phill and Tincas posts have raised a very interesting point.Could it be that Anderoos theories (see bream thread) on SB's being semi resident in swims/areas be true and thats why only a percentage of a waters SB's are ever caught? ie that the uncaught ones are simply never in any of the areas the anglers fish/can fish? Areas like this could most likely exist on waters of the size we are discussing?

Not saying I agree/believe either just chucking up another possibility.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!