Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

I think I've decided to cut up my MK IIs already!

I think having the option of a counterbalance is good even if it's not used much, but I think the sliding weight on the main arm is a bit pointless really.

Now for their original Bream/Tench fishing I thought this on the few times Ive had to use them(remember I only wanted mine for when it was too windy or I couldn't shelter my bobbins out on a platform) However Ive ended up using them on a couple of trips after possible big roach on a very wind swept marsh pit Ive got temporary access to.Without them I would have had to use bobbins that were being blown 90 degrees to the rods! The Swinghams were put into use here and the fine adjustment made all the difference for gentle biting roach at extreme range! Never thought I would be using them for that but without them I would have struggled!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Now for their original Bream/Tench fishing I thought this on the few times Ive had to use them(remember I only wanted mine for when it was too windy or I couldn't shelter my bobbins out on a platform) However Ive ended up using them on a couple of trips after possible big roach on a very wind swept marsh pit Ive got temporary access to.Without them I would have had to use bobbins that were being blown 90 degrees to the rods! The Swinghams were put into use here and the fine adjustment made all the difference for gentle biting roach at extreme range! Never thought I would be using them for that but without them I would have struggled!

Absolutely Budgie, I wouldn't dispute that at all! If I wanted indicators for lots of different species (as Paul's are capable of) my crude attempts would be useless!

PS had many roach?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Virtually anything can be improved and it is very satisfying and stimilating when an interest is shared and benefits others. I have been fishing since the age of seven but learning never stops and if people can benefit from the experiences of others then that has to be good, but still the main thing is to enjoy what you are doing.

• 2 years later...

I'm recovering from flu (actual flu, not man-flu!) and have been re-reading this and the 'big bream' topics - very entertaining, those were the days :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

At least you don't have flu with the rivers in perfect condition!

I've been rotten with some bug or other for the last twelve days. It's worse than a typical cold, but not as bad as the last time I had flu. Some very nasty stuff going about.

Yes "CLASSIC AN" Don't see so much (if any) of this sort of thing now and hence why I am so rarely on so much these days. Sorry to hear you dropped out of the syndicate as well Andrew but quite understandable.

All,

I too have re-read this entire thread. The premise that there are such a thing as "line bites" is balderdash. If a fish swims into your line (highly unlikely) it would be no different than a tree root.

Tests run to determine if fish were "line shy" (the opposite of line bites) was pretty conclusive that fish don't give a dam either way about fishing line. (certain species excluded)

Since I don't "pre-bait" or use a feeder I strike like I was fishing a lure. Eventually I have baited an area. Equally - it is scarey the number of times I see anglers fish over the top of the main shoal.

Phone

Great thread from the past

Phone, they certainly do swim into your line, and if you ignore it, it usually doesn't spook them. On the other hand, if you strike and whack them in the side with your lead, they will be spooked.

It is a particular problem with large bream because of their shape:

17-14%20bream%20Malcolm%20Harmer.jpg

They are laterally flattened - imagine a bluegill weighing nearly 20lb, feeding like a carp, and how likely it would be to snag the line.

Good explanation Steve. Your often put at a disadvantage here Phone as our style of fishing and most of our species arev so different to you. Its good that people like Steve remember that and try to explain as your input is always valued.