Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Nice, but I prefer these.

http://www.bobbinbikes.co.uk/bobbin-scout/

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Yes "CLASSIC AN" Don't see so much (if any) of this sort of thing now and hence why I am so rarely on so much these days. Sorry to hear you dropped out of the syndicate as well Andrew but quite understandable.

Cheers Budgie, difficult decision but life eventually got in the way too much and sadly it became unavoidable.

Such a good topic this one, we could do with a few more...!

My 'bobbin' idea as I re-read it was to create something along the lines of a slimline and lightweight bobbin head+line clip attached to the end of a kind of telescopic car aerial which would be made of lightweight metal or sturdy plastic, and loose fitting, general example:

mqOfREsKm3DuFUhpYXerieQ.jpg

You could stick it in the ground below the rod and attach it like a normal bobbin but it wouldn't move in the wind, and when a bite came it would pull out the loose fitting telescopic sections as it rose.

I kind of want to make one now just to see it it'd work :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Anderoo,

Why would it not blow around in the wind? Surely it would sway from side to side? Admittedly, this is not as bad as something blowing up down and everywhere, but wouldn't be still.

I tend not to do so much - hardly any - of this kind of fishing any more, but I do wonder what is wrong with a well designed and sited monkey climber. They always used to work for me, or have things moved on and I am I over simplifying this?

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

arb,

"simplifying this" I guess for me simplifying is a relative term. "A well designed and sited monkey climber" is pretty dam complicated when you can hold your line between thumb and forefinger.

I was trying to envision a weather vein setup but I'm not very good at that sort of thing. When you have lemons make lemonaide approach.

Phone

I guess I was meaning simplifying in the sense that I was justifying the monkey climber as being the answer, but it may be old technology (if you can call it that) rather than something new.

Mike

A free running monkey climber would work fine, some amazing and sometimes outrageous indicators were built and used (with some great success) thanks to this topic, all different but all trying to solve the same main problem. I'm not really serious about the 'car aerial', but it's one design that wasn't considered when the topic was in full flow (probably cos it's rather daft :) ).

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Funny enough I've been thinking of making some new bobbins for some time.

There are two types I need:

Long drop bobbins on a short drop. I need a setup which allows the advantages of a long drop but when the rod is actually set close to the ground.

Something new for the spring campaign. Probably just some shorter (non electric) versions of my Wingham swingers.

Rich

Funny enough I've been thinking of making some new bobbins for some time.

There are two types I need:

Long drop bobbins on a short drop. I need a setup which allows the advantages of a long drop but when the rod is actually set close to the ground.

Something new for the spring campaign. Probably just some shorter (non electric) versions of my Wingham swingers.

Rich

Didn't the Wingham Swingers have a top ten hit hit with - When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along?

Seriously, I was thinking about this today when I saw an umbrella inside out this afternoon. It strikes me that an umbrella spoke with a hinge, would do something useful along these lines. Lightweight, hinged, and has the potential to carry a sliding bobbin above the hinge. The bobbin could slide up as the spoke straightened at the hinge. When you strike it straightens fully and the bobbin stays on the spoke, but I am unsure how it would stay under the butt, and it might be something like one of those butt swingers that were marketed a few years ago.

http://electrictreehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/salvaged-house-5.jpg

Mike

Edited by arbocop

Strange enough after wasting £s on carbon tube I settled for umbrella ribs as well! However ALL my experimenting came to a halt once it dawned on me that Paul (Tinca Tinca) was 100% right with both the physics and mechanics he had been trying to get us all to see from nigh on day one of this epic topic! Once he showed me the first "finished prototype" it all became clear! A lot of us at Wingham took on his "Swinghams" (which he kindly made for a lot of us) and between us all and our fiddling here and there with them to get the "perfect" set up for each of us we must be well on to the Mk 20 odd by now!

Now he's retired and got some more time on his hands ;) (bit of a joke really as every time Ive spoken to him since retiring hes up to his neck in one project or another!) we should get him to address the problem previously mentioned ie wanting "long drop" indication when you only have a "short drop" available. Drag Den Darkin (Poldark) away from the beach, chuck in Proffessor Kappas scientific input and Anderoos enthusiasm and I reckon we could have a winner!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!