Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Funnily enough I was hoping the switch from plastic line clips to stainless steel ball clips would improve my bobbins, but in fact the line stuck a lot more with the ball clips (mono mainline). It's better if they are set tight, but then you need a harder pull to get them to release. So I went back to the plastic clips for most of my fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

When you are talking balls Den the argument you are putting forward applies to larger dia balls due to the vee that is formed, however with small dia balls this has proved not to be an issue and neither has using light line. I spent a long time testing all manner of bobbin heads with both braid and nylon for run ability and line pick up and indeed made fully adjustable ones such as those in the ones in the picture below based on the excellent release ability of monkey climbers but have now abandoned them for the overall versatilty benefits that the Carp-Tech versions give.

post-8110-0-53950400-1392983057_thumb.jpg

I could make a fool proof version but what for apart from proving that I could and which would be of no benefit to others without the equipment to be able to do it.. I have noticed in recent times that quite a few stockists are now selling off their stocks of Spring Loks at £8 each for all sizes. Why is that. Unlike yourself I have no vested commercial interests whatsoever in anything that I do and am quite happy to share ideas with anyone.

As I have said before, the Fox MK11 swingers with the gate latch release mechanism take some beating if a short arm is sufficient for your needs.

For now I am quite happy with I have got to but may at some time have a further little play at an improved monkey climber system.

I played about with the Solar line clips some time ago and finished up with this to make them work effectively with both braid and line

post-8110-0-64394400-1392984322_thumb.jpg

Not really what you want to have to do which is back to the size of the balls and the vee angles produced.. Although I have not checked them myself, I have had some good reports on the latest Fox modular system release clips which in fact work on the small ball principle

Quite simple really, the bobbin should not grip the line at any time, should not need adjusting, should never fall off and should always release when rod is lifted off the rest. Need not be expensive "My Springloks are :) ) But a lot of cash was spent designing and developing them in an attempt to offer an all singing, all dancing set of indicators, but if you want the best, then you have to pay for it :) I make no apologies for promoting them on AN or anywhere else for that matter.

Like you, I have a box full of reject designs of all sorts of fishing related objects, but one or two successful ones made it into the mainstream..............flat bottom feeders..........you saw them several years ago..............design freely given to whoever wanted it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• 2 months later...

Bump!

Just putting the finishing touches on a set of ultralight "swingbins" for this spring.

Similar to the Wingham ones but much lighter and no electronics this time. I hope they will be light enough for the winter perching.

Last job is to sort the bankstick clip. I've got an idea I'll see how it pans out, I'll post pics tomorrow when they are done.

Rich

Yes exactly. The reason for the hinges is that it allows a longer drop that would be pretty unwieldy with a solid swinger arm and it allows them to be mounted on the front rest like a bobbin which wouldn't work with a long swinger. However as the hinges only bend in one axis they are very very windproof as you would expect with a swinger.

My other set are similar only larger (to allow the long drops at Wingham) and with electronics to light the bobbin at night and when you get a bite.

Rich

Looking good - I'm back to bobbins but am tempted to chop up the long swingers and make a new shorter set. Will see how it goes!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music