Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

I'm designing and making myself some new bobbins. They are probably way to complicated but I'm enjoying the challenge of pitting my wits against lots of different problems.

At the moment I'm trying to find a cheap way of making them more windproof.

If you could have bobbins made to your specifications what features etc would you like?

Rich

I'm designing and making myself some new bobbins. They are probably way to complicated but I'm enjoying the challenge of pitting my wits against lots of different problems.

At the moment I'm trying to find a cheap way of making them more windproof.

If you could have bobbins made to your specifications what features etc would you like?

Rich

for wind proof make it entirely of some sort of mesh, like chicken wire or cage feeders

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Richard,

I've had windy bobbin trouble before but I won't retell that now in case you're eating your supper.

I couldn't find a bobbin that didn't sway in the wind so I used to use a trick (which I read somewhere) to stop the bobbing swaying all over the place in the wind and it was quite sucessfull. It's very 'Heath - Robinson' and you may get some very strange looks but it helped me.....

Assuming the bobbins at normal position are around 6 - 10 inches off the ground then I used to place an inverted,clear, plastic lemonade bottle in the ground with the bottom of the bottle cut off (i used to weigh it down with sand in the base of it (originally the top of the bottle), and 'prop' it in place with anything heavy to hand). I cut two small grooves in the bottle directly opposite each other so that the line attaching the bobbin could rise and fall whilst in its plastic 'shelter'. I would draw you a diagram but i'm not very good at drawing and my Bank Holiday wine is kicking in now.

This system used to work quite well unless its very windy. The taller the bottle the better as you had a bigger 'shelter'.

Regards,

Chris

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

I am sure that over the years, many anglers have pondered over this question. It is relatively easy to design a simple bobbin that has an adjustable line clip and the ability to add or take away weight but to make it as wind proof as possible, then I think that probably, the most effective way to way to achieve this is as goosequill sugests which is to design a bobbin house. A simple form would be a fold out hollow box or a tube ideally in a translucent material for easy vision. A box section would be preferable say if you were fishing with two rods and this could have attachments to ensure that it could be firmly secured to the ground. It could also have hinged sides to accommodate for longer drops or better still have telescopic sides. As previously mentioned opposite slots would be required to accomodate the line. You could even have the deluxe version with graduated markings up the side or on a different approach take the simpler route of using long swingers with an adjustable balance weight.

:D:D The 'Bobbin House' - I like that!

With a bit of thought I'm sure you could knock something up that attaches to a bank stick.

Just don't go too far and start putting curtains up in the 'Bobbin House' ........

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

monkey climbers were wind proof but ofcourse "old" so obviasly crap

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Monkey Bobbins were great and they were windproof, but as you say Chesters they became unfashionable.

you mean i have to chuck mine away :lol:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No, don't sling 'em - will be worth a fortune one day!

I've just found some new ones actually on the West Midlands Angling Centre site (WMAC) under the 'Specimen/ Pods' section .......two monkey climbers and all the bits for £9.99!!

Least someone still sells them....

Visit My Galleries