Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Well I've sorted the windproof bit! It involves minimising lateral movement but being very flexible when up and down! I'll post all the details once I've finished the bobbins.

Chesters, actually my design is quite similar to monkey climbers but unfortunately it wouldn't work well with actual monkey climbers!

So now I've got a different problem. I need to make the bobbin have some sort of adjustable weight system. I'm not sure how best to do it! Unfortunately I don't have access to any tools for making threaded plastic or metal etc.

Rich

Rich, Fox and Solar do a range of weight adjustable swingers that only move up and down. 100% effective, but not cheap.

Sounds like you are trying to design something that already exists.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest tigger

Why not use some swingers like fox for e.g. ? As you know bobbins are usless in windy conditions but the swingers are sound even in high winds.

Anglers using "dough bobbin" indicaters would let them hang in their groundbait bucket to sheild them from the wind.I used this method and it works well.Trouble is you cant use it if you have your bobbins anchored to the ground.Way I get round it though is to use my old swing tip marker board (if you cant remember them I wont bother explaining!) its basickly a sheet of perspex.I simply put this up as a "wind break" in the correct position to sheild the bobbins.I have a second that I also use to erect a "L" shaped breakif the wind is at an awkward angle to the rods.Some of you may have seen me use this at Wingham when the wind was up?

The carp boys have quite a good way round this with their "bicycle chain" type bobbin "cords" these allow free up and down movement but not side ways.

Some of the guys Ive bream fished with on big waters developed and used a wind proof indicater that ressembles a modern day carp "swinger" it was rear mounted though and had a lery long light weight arm that had a simple line clip on the end.It was long enough to be able to distinguish between line bites and "proper" bites.Worked well enough but as I wasnt having to many problems with my set up I never swapped over.

In fact if I remember right some one copied the idea and made and marketed them comercially for a while?

Can gladly let you have some pictures if you want Rich? I think Den may have hit it on the head but I too (mind you so does he!) like to have things just the way I want them and enjoy getting/making something to fit that bill.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Why not use some swingers like fox for e.g. ? As you know bobbins are usless in windy conditions but the swingers are sound even in high winds.

Trouble with all (well those I know off) comercially available "swinger" arm type indicators is that they have too short a range of movement for species like bream.

Edited by BUDGIE

monkey climbers were wind proof but ofcourse "old" so obviasly crap

The origonal Ricky Gibbinson type were far from crap if set up correctly (a time consuming job to get right) but the commercial ones with the small bores were very "sticy" and offered a lot of extra resistance.Once again difficult to set up properly and if you had the slightest bit of dirt/grit or the needle was slightly bent they could jam up completely resulting in some spectacular events on a take!

But heres also a "quick dodge" that both I (and as I now know Steve Burke) have used for years when using simple anchored bobbins and the wind gets up.

Simply add the required amount of weight with either shot or tungsten putty a short distance below the bobbin on the anchor cord.Allow this added weight to sit on the ground.This will keep your bobbins steady but still allow you to see drop back bites! The extra weight doesnt seen to cause any problems to a taking fish.

Rich, Fox and Solar do a range of weight adjustable swingers that only move up and down. 100% effective, but not cheap.

Sounds like you are trying to design something that already exists.

Den

As Budgie has mentioned I want to be able to use long drop bobbins if the need arises, plus I never liked the look of those swingers. The windproof bit is not the main reason for making the bobbins. I am incorporating LEDs into the bobbin but I don't want to have buy all new alarms etc to be compatible.

Secondly I think I can make the perfect bobbin (for me) with all the bells and whistles I want for much less than any commercially available equivalent.

Thirdly I am really enjoying the challenge its giving me! I've learnt lots of new stuff, not least not so basic electronics!

Rich

Thirdly I am really enjoying the challenge its giving me! I've learnt lots of new stuff, not least not so basic electronics!

Rich

Aha! as you may have noticed, I make most of my own bits and bobbins as well :)

I have swingers with 18" arms which describe an arc of about 30" when set down low.

The monkey climber setup was brilliant for stabilising the bobbin and can be set to give minimum resistance and a very long travel. A piece of plastic overflow pipe and a 24" rod rest with no head (or anything similar). Set this at an angle of about 45deg pointing forwards. Used that setup for several years before the hair rig made it redundant.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic