Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Oh no, :o this has started something off. My youngest lad is a design engineer and having looked over my shoulder and reading the comments is now talking about using the principles of a beam mounted on a fulcrum (a swinger) using moments of force with micro adjustable weighting at the rear but incorporating coloured leds down the beam (swinger arm) to indicate degrees of movement. I think that I will just stick to the tried and tested and make sure that he is not around when I am reading the forum. I do make a lot of my own bits and pieces as I was originally trained as a fitter and am fortunate to possess a decent workshop. I am a tackle tart but I draw the line at having a set up that looks like a control centre for N.A.S.A. Seriously, it is not difficult or expensive to knock up long armed swingers. Many many years ago I used to fish a mere that twice produced the recrd Bream. It was a difficult water due to the low number of fish for the size of the water and to put this into context you could be fishing for a week for a bite but if you did get one the probability was that there would be a lump on the end. Good bite indication was therefore critical and was the subject of many conversations with the common theme being to minimise any resistance that would be felt by the fish. This evolved into some real wild ideas but for myself resulted in some simple longarmed swingers that were mounted in the ground on a bankstick with the arms being made from fibreglass rod with a line clip on the end made from a hair grip and a container on the other end in which you could add weight, with the idea being that you could achieve the degree of balance that felt was right. As a set up it worked perfectly well but on this particular water I spent many many hours to get two bites both of which I missed. :angry: I better not mention the bobbin house to him :D

Guest tigger
As Budgie has mentioned I want to be able to use long drop bobbins if the need arises, plus I never liked the look of those swingers. The windproof bit is not the main reason for making the bobbins. I am incorporating LEDs into the bobbin but I don't want to have buy all new alarms etc to be compatible.

Secondly I think I can make the perfect bobbin (for me) with all the bells and whistles I want for much less than any commercially available equivalent.

Thirdly I am really enjoying the challenge its giving me! I've learnt lots of new stuff, not least not so basic electronics!

Rich

Richard wasn't the rig you used last year at Wingham a fixed rig or similar ? If it was then the fish are hooked as soon as you get a registration on your alarms/bobbins so I wouldn't think you need your bobbins on a big drop. That's why I suggested a swinger. A few friends of mine fish in Ireland and are obsessed with Bream fishing. They used to use long hooklengths but now use 6inch hooklengths and bolt rig. That way there's no panic or missing bites when striking, the fish just hook themselves and usually always lip hooked.

I know Lutra has had some good bream sessions so maybe he can give you a good opinion.

I know Lutra has had some good bream sessions so maybe he can give you a good opinion.

Like this one?

loadsofbrimtq4.jpg

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Richard wasn't the rig you used last year at Wingham a fixed rig or similar ? If it was then the fish are hooked as soon as you get a registration on your alarms/bobbins so I wouldn't think you need your bobbins on a big drop. That's why I suggested a swinger. A few friends of mine fish in Ireland and are obsessed with Bream fishing. They used to use long hooklengths but now use 6inch hooklengths and bolt rig. That way there's no panic or missing bites when striking, the fish just hook themselves and usually always lip hooked.

The reason for the long drop when bream fishing at waters like Wingham (that are very different to typical bream venues) is to avoid line bites. If you strike at a line bite and spook the bream you can kiss your chances by for the rest of the session!

For more details see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham-Fish-t82672.html

This topic also has a link to a description of my home-made bobbins, including a photo.

Swingers would have to be very long to allow a similar amount of line to be taken. However they are relatively wind proof.

As Budgie said though, I largely get round the wind problem and retain the advantages of bobbins by using swan shot as an anchor on the retaining cord. I say cord, but I use wire as this is stiffer and thinner and so blows about less. I'd add that spacing the shot out seems to be more effective than having them all grouped together. By having the swan shot as far away from the bobbin as you choose, you can also vary the amount of indication you get on a dropback.

These bobbins work well regardless of the tackle and rig you use. They're also very versatile due to the option of adding shot, and by varying the amount of the drop by clipping the wire into the bulldog clip. They're also easily visible, both by day or night.

What's more, they're so simple even I can make them!

However, I'm always open to ideas on how to improve them.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I suppose you could also look at long Teflon coated needles and a monkey climber. May even be possible to convert telescopic car aerials which would be easy to carry around and give you the options of short and long drops.

I suppose you could also look at long Teflon coated needles and a monkey climber. May even be possible to convert telescopic car aerials which would be easy to carry around and give you the options of short and long drops.

Teflon coated needles and a bobbin made using a PTFE pole bushing......How smooth and resistance free would that be ???

The reason for the long drop when bream fishing at waters like Wingham (that are very different to typical bream venues) is to avoid line bites. If you strike at a line bite and spook the bream you can kiss your chances by for the rest of the session!

For more details see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wingham-Fish-t82672.html

This topic also has a link to a description of my home-made bobbins, including a photo.

Swingers would have to be very long to allow a similar amount of line to be taken. However they are relatively wind proof.

As Budgie said though, I get round the wind problem and retain the advantages of bobbins by using swan shot as an anchor on the retaining cord. I say cord, but I use wire as this is stiffer and thinner and so blows about less. I'd add that spacing the shot out seems to be more effective than having them all grouped together. By having the swan shot as far away from the bobbin as you choose, you can also vary the amount of indication you get on a dropback.

These bobbins work well regardless of the tackle and rig you use. They're also very versatile due to the option of adding shot, and by varying the amount of the drop by clipping the wire into the bulldog clip. They're also easily visible, both by day or night.

What's more, they're so simple even I can make them!

However, I'm always open to ideas on how to improve them.

Ive got no experience of fishing southern gravel pits for big bream, but Ive done plenty of fishing for double figure bream on large northern waters where large shoals of bream and strong wind can make bite detection hard work.

I know its getting a bit of topic, but if there's been one thing that Ive change over the years that has made it easier to read proper bites it has to be my feeder and rig. Ive found by using a method feeder and a 2-3 inch hooklength true bites have become screaming runs most of the time which makes things much easier. Don't know if you or anyone else have any thoughts on this?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

With you all the way Lutra...not a one off either, but the result of many many hours testing different setups.

Rich, would not leadcore or similar stop line bites?

Were they a problem at Wingham?

Steve, are they line bites, or are you not hooking real bites :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

With you all the way Lutra...not a one off either, but the result of many many hours testing different setups.

Rich, would not leadcore or similar stop line bites?

Were they a problem at Wingham?

Steve, are they line bites, or are you not hooking real bites :)

Den

I used leadcore last year and had almost constant line bites, if I'd not had Steve's longdrop bobbins I'd have stuck at half of them, some lifted the bobbin over a foot!

Rich

Thanks for the answer Rich. BUT ( always a but with me :) ) If you had a 12" lift and the bobbin could go no further, then the line would have slipped off the fish and dropped back. If the fish were hooked then the baitrunner would have given line.

At least, that is what happens when I get liners.

Den (hurry up with that drawing, I am dying to see it )

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic