Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

I just had another look at that, thanks Steve - that's pretty much exactly what I need. I'm not too bothered how they look as long as they do the job. I also need at least 3 (maybe 4 if I'm feeling brave!) so cost is an issue. The only thing I'd change is having screw-in removable weights rather than split shot. Maybe it's just me, but I always loose them and then get annoyed when I go chubbing and don't have enough :rolleyes: I do have some of these from some old sets of bobbins so hopefully I can re-use them somehow.I thought I also prefered more of a 'body', but I have to say that the idea of just a section of elastic (which also holds a starlight) is very appealing. A lot of my legering is ultra-light, slack line stuff, so the less weight the better.

This latest design using wire has made a difference as wire is stiffer and so doesn't tangle. It's also very thin for its weight and so gets blown about less.

The other improvement from the original is the Bulldog clip. This was the idea of a friend of mine, who by the way caught the 18-06 bream from Wingham.

Rather than use a Starlight I use an isotope, that works out cheaper in the long run. There is a period at dusk/dawn when isotopes aren't as visible as Starlight. However I find I can then see the fluorescent red catapult elastic that holds the isotope in place.

I can see what you mean by losing shot. However, I put the indicators on pole winders that fit in my Stewart float box when moving swims. I use shot as it means I can get the weight of the bobbin just right. It probably doesn't matter with bream, but it can sometimes do so with big perch.

If you prefer the idea of screw-on weights the Seymo Bottle weights may be the answer as I believe they went down to very small sizes.

Does anyone know if they're still available?

Solar beat them to it a long time ago. ;) I'm going to give these a try if and when I manage to get out fishing:http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/recoil01.htmlThe inticator heads are interchangable with others in the Solar range so you can add additional weights, change the bodies, insert isotopes and change the line clip for the ball type ones.Not cheap but certainly convenient.
Very intersting idea. Thanks, Rob.How long will they pull out? Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've emailed them about the length of the chord and am awaiting a response. Because everything is interchangable I reckon it would be a doddle to add another length of chord or one of their chains to the existing cord if it wasn't long enough

I've been a fan of Solar bobbins for a while, the tackle tart in me is liking the PFTE line clips they do as well............

http://solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/lineclips01.html

In fact there's something bubbling away in my subconscious that may or not be relevant but refuses to come to the surface. But at the moment I'm shattered after dealing with computer problems, lots of babysitting, and getting ready to move house (fingers crossed!).

It may or may not have been this. As I said I'm dog-tired so I may be talking nonsense.

With a short drop on your bobbin a line bite would be more likely to take line off the reel. In this case the bobbin wouldn't be able to take up the slack again. Instead you'd have to get up, reel in and adjust the bobbin again. I can assure you that this would drive you mad when you're getting lots of line bites! It also means that your indicators aren't working efficiently all the time, plus it means more disturbance and so more chance of spooking fish.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thats what Ive been saying Steve. BTW my bobbins are also heavy enough to drop back of their own acord after a line bite.

I dont use wire but the 40lb Amnesia I use as a cord does the same thing ie not tangle as its stiff.Never try dacron!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That is certainly true Steve, when I had that night of liners I kept having to get up (and out into the cold and dark :rolleyes: ) to readjust the bobbin - I'm sure with a longer drop that would have been less frequent.

Regarding line clips, I have a few plastic adjustable ones (like in Steve's picture) knocking around which I can use, but I think I'm favouring one of those ladies hair clips. They would be infinitely adjustable, non-grip and wouldn't damage the line, and also weigh next to nothing. (I want the finished bobbins to have virtually no weight at all to them - even the plastic bobbin heads like the solar ones are too heavy.) My current home-made bobbins (which have now given up the ghost, unfortunately, after many years of faithful service!) have something similar, and I much prefer those to the plastic ones. They look a bit crap, but they work brilliantly.

EDIT: just saw your response Rob, thanks - 28cm is too short unfortunately, I reckon I'd need about three times that to be safe.

EDIT 2: a clip like this:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Last but not least you don't need to worry about what is or isn't a proper bite, as these will be long steady runs or your bobbin just dropping to the floor. Not easily mistaken for line bites and you just need to tighten or reel into them.

Incidentally its amazing how few little bleeps you get even when fishing in 10lb fish soup when you fish like this. Maybe like Den suggest not all your liners are liners.

One water I fished the Bream averaged 8-9lb depending on the year.These shoals were in excess off 300 fish.Line bites were a normal part of your fishing (same as Steve Ive tried without bait) As the shoal moved over your big bed of feed be it groundbait or particle you would start getting them.Altering the distance you were fishing (ie getting your gear on the edge rather than the middle of the bait) would see them drasticly reduced.

But even on waters like Queenford and TC Pit (both big bream waters but as they were mid doubles few of them) you would still get line bites.I very much doubt if you ever had more than a handfull (probably only one or two) of fish in your swim.Its definately not just the shear numbers in a big shoal what cause this lark.

I never tried the carp/bolt type aproach on any of the big shoal waters (maybe I should have?) mainly because I was having it away and couldnt see the need for any improvement! That said a lot of the rigs I used/were being used on Queenford wernt far off being bolt rigs.The two hook running paternoster rigs used Drennan link beads (a bit like the Roberts link ledger bead as I dont think they are made anymore) so in practice I wouldnt have thought they were free running.Also the short hook lengths would have caused a bolt effect.Same with the off bottom rigs.Bet thats a new one for a lot of you ie fishing off bottom for bream! But once again its not about bite indication so much as avoiding spooking on line bites

Where fishing on the big shoal 12lb ish maximum waters can be fast and furious,at Lydd Watersports I had 6 doubles and several other 9's in a short evening session (and this wasnt that unusual) Queenford (as Steve mentioned) could see you going weeks upon weeks without a fish.Then out of the blue you could bag up!Derek had 5 one night back in the late 80's

I think a lot of it there though was just waiting till you either got it right or were simply lucky enough to have your baits in the right place at the right time.

TC was different though. I beleive that most sessions I would have bream over my bait just that some times you would catch and more often than not wouldnt!

No Im still convinced that 15lb plus bream have got to that size because they have lead very different lives to the big shoal bream. Therefore their behaviour is very different.

BTW I bet you dont see many bream rolling (well to any great degree) at Wingham Steve? I say this as neither TC,Queenford or Bawgburgh do either.Ive not fished the Cheshire/Shropshire Meres a great deal but I have spoken with plenty who have.I think the behaviour on these waters is the stereotypical behaviour that is attributed to all bream.A lot of the guys I met on the big bream "circuit" had done a lot on these waters and confimed that they were text book.

The 'bream follow a patrol route' doesn't seem to be applicable to Wingham either, from what I can tell. They seem to turn up anywhere at any time.

I saw bream rolling there the first time I fished there, but it was right after Rob Ward had caught one and I reckon they were spooking away.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Heres the "Hi tech" bobbin that Ive used for some time for bream-

bobbin1zg3.jpg

Its predessesor was the Fairy Liquid top!

With a 36" cord made from 40lb Amnesia and pegged below the rod you can add as much weight (shot or putty) as required.Pulls off on the strike but dont get lost.Only problem is you have to sheild it from the wind or anchor it to the ground as discussed earlier.

Was talking with Richard yesterday re his Super Bobbin.I must admit it might be time or a change but untill Im happy with anything new I will stick with this.