Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

WRT the solar ones being too short at 28cm I suppose that depends on how easy they are to modify.

That said rather than shell out on something that you need to modify to do what you want it's probably just as easy to make your own in the first place.

I made my own from trace wire, rig tubing and solar line clips for use at Wingham.

That "Zinger" type set up on the Solar bobbins shown is neat though. Mind you it doesnt overcome the wind problem.Richard gave me a link to some great material for windproof bobbin cord the other day but it was over £10 a metre!

The trouble with mounting cords high (ie under the buzzer or on the buzzer bar) is that you need twice as much length as you would for ones anchored in the ground below the rod. More cord more chance of tangles?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm not sure how much benefit I get from using a long drop.

I rarely fish free running rigs at Wingham, usually a Method feeder with a short hooklink on a rig that's pinned down with two flying backleads and then backleaded again under the rod tip. I realise this isn't 100% liner proof but I'm pretty confident it accounts for the majority, certainly in the vicinity of the rig anyway.

I was using swinger type indicators when I caught the 16 6.

Budgie, it's rare to see bream rolling at Wingham. The night you and Rob caught was very much an exception.

As Anderoo says the Wingham bream don't have set patrol routes. Rather they seem to graze just like cows in a field. This makes them extremely difficult to locate.

One of the few things that were established at waters like Queenford is that they don't seem to feed over weed. Thus the tops of gravel bars are a good bet. However which of the literally 100s of bars should you try?

The year I started was one of those when I'd treated the weed with herbicide (usually every other year). I thought this would make it even more difficult to locate the bream as they could now feed almost anywhere in the lake!

However I then had the idea of trying to locate the routes they take in moving from one part of the lake to another and ambush them there, rather than guess where they might actually feed. This narrowed down the search no end and worked beautifully, resulting in my catching 5 bream that summer in about 20 nights. Since then I've not had one!

It's interesting that the highest number of bream have come in the years that the weed has been treated. The following year none were caught at all, the next year 10, last year just 5. I've therefore high hopes for this year, and hopefully amongst the catches will be a record. Goodness knows what the 17-14 caught in April 2004 will weigh now as it still had several years of growth left!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Andrew, can I suggest you stick to the adjustable bobbins? Like me I suspect that you want to use the bobbins for lots of species. I've found them much better than the hairgrip type for species like perch. In practice the small extra weight isn't nearly so important as being free-flowing and lower in resistance.

Budgie, you mentioned the length of cord. The Bulldog clip connection that Alex dreamed up was partly designed to minimise this as you can clip it anywhere on the bankstick. To minimise the length of cord it can be halfway up the bankstick.

Yes, I confess I was stupid enough to try braid for the cord first! Then I tried heavy fluorocarboin that due to its stiffness worked well. Finally I switched to wire that works even better, The kind I use is knottable and so can be tied to the Bulldog clip. This is the titanium wire that the late Gerry Castles kindly gave me. I don't like it as much as 49 strand wire for pike traces, but for bobbins it's great.

Rob, you mentioned flying backleads. I was very impressed with these on the second Korda video and they should help reduce line bites. However I've never used them on the running rigs I prefer.

Does anyone have any experience of this combination?

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A couple of comments...

baitrunner slipping on liners......tighten baitrunner, if it's a liner then the line WILL slip off.

________//____________ .....probably moved feeder so presentation destroyed (or your confidence :) )

Flying backleads do allow for dropbacks, just make sure bobbin is heavy enough. Like Rob, I use both flying and pinned down close in, and sometimes I slide a further one down the line.

I am not sure if I have got this right, but I thought that the big ones in Wingham were the result of the first stocking of about 150 some years ago ? If so, then there could be a pretty big shoal of pretty big bream there :)

Not your usual "tip of the pyramid" lone big fish.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, the bream were stocked largely as fry in 1995. Additionally there were a very small number of 3 year old fish up to about a pound and a quarter. At that time the rest of the fish population was almost entirely predatory (pike, brown trout and eels) and so very few of these bream, especially the fry, will have survived.

The 150 fish that you've referred to were tench that were stocked in 1996 and 1998.

Thanks Steve :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

This is the best topic for ages!

Steve, I think I will take your advice about line clips - I've been thinking about the Solar ones that Rob linked to, and I think they look really good. As you say, it would be good to use the bobbins for other species. I think I'm going to make a few different lengths of cord/wire which I can change depending on the situation.

I want my bobbins to be so light that I can fish a slack line and the bobbin won't pick line off the surface. I really rate extremely light bobbins and only add weight when absolutely necessary (wind, undertow, etc.). Slack lines and light bobbins register bites better than heavy bobbins and tight lines, and I like as much line as possible on the bottom out of the way. However, when Richard emtied Wingham last year he was using heavy bobbins and tight lines - but the Wingham fish don't seem too bothered about such things.

I think there might be a separate topic soon about rigs and location for big bream. Luckily on AN there are some genuine experts (if that's the right word where big bream are concerned :D )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you think the standard solar indicator heads are too heavy have a look at the lightweight ones:

http://solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/ilite01.html

Again these are interchangable with the other items in the range such as the line clips.

The bobbins I made were dead simple, I used 20lb trace wire with a loop in one end and tail rubber threaded on. I then attached a bead to the other end and pulled this down into the tail rubbber and pushed a solar line clip into the end of the rubber - Bobs your uncle.

They were really lightweight and didn't suffer in the wind, to add extra weight I just used shot.

Edited by Rob Ward