Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

If you think the standard solar indicator heads are too heavy have a look at the lightweight ones:

http://solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/ilite01.html

Again these are interchangable with the other items in the range such as the line clips.

The bobbins I made were dead simple, I used 20lb trace wire with a loop in one end and tail rubber threaded on. I then attached a bead to the other end and pulled this down into the tail rubbber and pushed a solar line clip into the end of the rubber - Bobs your uncle.

They were really lightweight and didn't suffer in the wind, to add extra weight I just used shot.

Thanks Rob, you're a gent - they look pretty good :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I saw bream rolling there the first time I fished there, but it was right after Rob Ward had caught one and I reckon they were spooking away.

Last year as I was playing a bream I could see severalothers rolling and porposing away!

Rich

If you think the standard solar indicator heads are too heavy have a look at the lightweight ones:

http://solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/ilite01.html

If I had to replace my antique bobbins from a shop thats what I would go for as well.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Last year as I was playing a bream I could see severalothers rolling and porposing away!

Rich

This seems something unique to Wingham as Ive never seen "spooked" fiush behave ib this way any where else. It was too dark and I was to busy concentrating on landing my bream to have noticed!

I do wonder though if indeed these rolling bream were indeed spooked as Anderoo first mentioned? If were all these situations of fish showing as one was being played simply down to the fact that they were in shallow water over bars etc and the comotion of the fish being played? Rob,Steve,Rich?

Rich

Wow, that must have been quite a moment!

Your bobbins look great by the way.

I reckon I'm going to make my bobbins using the Solar bits and pieces, cheers Rob :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A couple of comments...

baitrunner slipping on liners......tighten baitrunner, if it's a liner then the line WILL slip off.

________//____________ .....probably moved feeder so presentation destroyed (or your confidence :) )

Flying backleads do allow for dropbacks, just make sure bobbin is heavy enough. Like Rob, I use both flying and pinned down close in, and sometimes I slide a further one down the line.

Den, I see what you mean about the line slipping off. However wouldn't that spook the bream? They don't seem to be spooked by the weight of the bobbin as the increased resistance is on their mouth, but with a line bite it's on their body.

Have you used flying backleads with running rigs as opposed to semi-fixed ones? The only times I've used backleads has been with the latter.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

One thing I do remeber that may be relevant used to happen at Heartbreak Lake.In the days before the sea flooding and Jetskis it used to be very clear in the summer. As it was an old "Test" pit dug with a drag line it was long and thin.Averaged 50-75m across its 500-600m length.In the warm weather you could watch huge shoals of bream that then averaged around 8lb swimming just below the surface.A stamp of the foot on the bank would spook them the whole shoal just "flicking" on the surface to dissapear but shortly return. That flicking could easily have been mistaken for rolling if the fish had been at distance/in the dark etc.As for why bream (on some waters) role no one really seems to know.Some say it is a sign of feeding bream others say definately not! I dont know .

Den, I see what you mean about the line slipping off. However wouldn't that spook the bream? They don't seem to be spooked by the weight of the bobbin as the increased resistance is on their mouth, but with a line bite it's on their body.
This is the whole point I keep making about line bites.Im sure Den can see this so I must be missing/not understanding what he is trying to say.Den?

This seems something unique to Wingham as Ive never seen "spooked" fiush behave ib this way any where else. It was too dark and I was to busy concentrating on landing my bream to have noticed!

I do wonder though if indeed these rolling bream were indeed spooked as Anderoo first mentioned? If were all these situations of fish showing as one was being played simply down to the fact that they were in shallow water over bars etc and the comotion of the fish being played? Rob,Steve,Rich?

Interesting question - for which I haven't got a definite answer!

Could it be that the fish were feeding so well that they weren't spooked by one being caught?

On the other hand it may be significant that it's very rare for more than one Wingham bream to be caught in the same swim on a given day, or even on the next one for that matter. The latter's from bitter experience!

I seem to remember from Derek Quirk's bream book and talking to Tony Miles and Phil Smith that the same applied at Queenford, despite more anglers fishing than at Wingham.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've not seen a Bream roll at Wingham yet, while I was playing mine I was distracted by some commotion on the opposite bank so I didn't see any movement in my swim! ;)

I was using swinger type indicators when I caught the 16 6.
I suppose we have to be carefull we dont try to draw any answers from our Wingham experiences just yet.Simply because no one has really caught enough of them over a period of time to make any assumptions! Steve I should imagine youve had the most so far?As for swingers.Not used them personally but have had my worries about them for bream confirmed in another way.Another "Budgie annecdote" Im afraid hope people dont find them boring (?)In the early 90's a guy called Simon Ashton hit the weeklies at the start of one season with a couple of 11-12 bream from one of the valley waters.(were still regarded as big then) This gave him the bream buzz and as a couple of my syndicate members were also fisghing there at the time they put him on to me.He duly joined and I met him on the bank.He was well "flushed" with his sucsess (to put it politely!) I noticed he was using standard carp length swingers.They were still relatively new to carp and I had not used them for anything.I asked him how he could tell the difference between Real bites and liners....he replied with a knowing look "Ah you just know".........................Over that season I noticed that Simon strugglked to catch what most of us had regarded as really easy fish.Im glad to say his pride was finally put to one side when he asked a carper next to him to photo a 7lbr he had caught.Whilst doing so the carper comented on how small it was.Simon thought the guy was being funny but to cut a long story short he camr up to where me and Rob were fishing and sat chatting to us.In that time we landed a couple of low doubles and several other 9's.After that he started fishing with us and very shortly abandoned his swingers in favour of bobbins.His feeding regime hadf let him down badly (he was putting in a couple of washing up bowls at the start ofg each session compared to our 2 or 3 horse bowls (about 7x as much in each as his bowl) but the real issue was that when he did get bream over him (as he did more when sat fishing with us) he was constantly missing "bites" these we had to assume were liners.He would sit at first in amazement when we didnt strike bobbin rises of over 2' only for them to very slowly fall back again. Simon wasnt a bad angler jusyt wasnt using the right (IMO) tactics.Soon as he swapped he was catching same as us.
I was playing mine I was distracted by some commotion on the opposite bank so I didn't see any movement in my swim! ;)
:lol: Its these ex carp anglers mate! you cant take them any where!