Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Didnt know wether to start a new thread or not but as this seems to have become a "All things big bream" threasd I will post it here!

I would be interested in reading what your interpretation (the behaviour of your bite indicater) of a line bite is compared to other bites from different species? Will need to know set up and situation to make comparrisons though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I nearly started a new bream topic too, but I think I'll keep it all together here unless Rich objects :)

I would be interested in reading what your interpretation (the behaviour of your bite indicater) of a line bite is compared to other bites from different species? Will need to know set up and situation to make comparrisons though.

Not sure if this was directed at someone specific? If not...

I've never suffered with liners particularly, for any species. All things being equal (assuming I'm legering) I'll be using either a semi-fixed set-up often with a few blobs of tungsten putty down the line or a free-running set-up. Both will be with slack line and light bobbins. I use good old Sensor as a mainline which sinks well.

The only big, proper liners I've had were at Wingham, using a free-running feeder. The bobbin would climb steadily and smoothly to the rod, stay there for a couple of seconds (sometimes the baitrunner would click a couple of times), then fall quickly back. I tried switching baits but it didn't make any difference (from worm to corn, in case it was eels). The only fish I caught that night was an eel, which tore off.

The bites from tench there have been obvious - with a free-running leger, I'd get a jerkily climbing rise on the bobbin which wouldn't fall back down (I don't think they realised they'd taken the bait and were still feeding). With a semi-fixed rig I'd get tearing runs.

The big perch I caught on a free-running set-up tore off! Taking line from the baitrunner. I haven't had any on semi-fixed.

The pike (again on free-running) gave very gentle, twitchy bites. Similar to the tench, in fact. Probably still feeding.

This is all very limited info (I've only fished there a handful of times) but maybe it's useful? The main difference - based on this limited experience - I reckon between liners and proper bites at Wingham on this set-up are that liners give a smooth, steady rise of the bobbin, a pause, then a quick drop back. Proper bites from big perch on free running rigs or from tench on semi-fixed generally give screamers. Tench and pike on free-running rigs give jerky rises of the bobbin which don't fall back; I reckon they're still feeding.

As I say, not enough info to draw any real conclusions, but maybe food for thought...

On other waters I'd expect perch bites to be more gentle and tench bites to be screamers, even with a free running set-up. I'm sure this is due to the increased angling pressure (even if it's not that much, it's still a lot more than at Wingham.) I also wouldn't expect eel on sweetcorn or pike on worms :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I agree with Anderoo, in the most part I never get line bites. However at Wingham I barely got any sleep as I was getting constant line bites. Due to rig problems I sometimes didn't get tearing runs but the real bites were obvious as they were "jerky" whereas the line bites moved smoothly up and then just fell like a stone back down again.

Back to topic, all my electronic components have just turned up! Now where did I put my soldering iron??

:D

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

No one specific.The more people from more different waters the better.So far though both Anderoo and Rich have said the same for me.Not only for Wingham but most waters in general.

This has really become a good thread...so much so that Ive had the Burkester (thats going to stick now Elton!) on the phone for the last couple of hours! We are both like kids with new toys.

This has been a very interesting and very detailed thread. I've been reading/lurking over the last couple of days. I'll leave the contributions to those more in the know on this sort of thing of which there seems to be a good number.

I've been lucky enough to of had a few, well, four double figure Bream so far in all but they've all come from the faster flowing flowing tidal sections of the Norfolk Broads where theres no real place for bobbins. You still get real problems with line bites but that really is a subject for a separate thread!

Good going though guys all clever stuff!

I was thinking earlier that this thread must be pretty unique in that there are 5 people that I know of contributing to it who have caught 15lb+ bream!

Hope Richard doesnt mind the "add on " stuff but his bobbin thread was really what got all this going! Still interested in the Bobbin Rich! I keep thinking about either my existing bobbins with that £10 per metre tracking or making some up similar to yours with it! Once Operation New Windsheilds is completed I might have to start playing around with various tubing and duck tape as £10 per metre is too extreme! Youve really got me thinking.

Hope Richard doesnt mind the "add on " stuff but his bobbin thread was really what got all this going!

No not at all just I'm only able to sneak in and out when the boss isn't looking so I haven't been able to add much myself! I'm so excited about all this stuff I'm having trouble sleeping!

Rich

Oh by the way, if you find any better solutions let me know!

Edited by Richard Capper

Well, my 'ultimate bobbin' is now finished (having spent all Saturday afternoon driving all over Oxfordshire looking for the bits!). They're very basic but exactly what I need. I used the solar i-lite heads (http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/ilite01.html) and got isotopes for them, a selection of 5g and 10g weights which screw in the bottom (http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/fluoro01.html#addondragweight), and used some old Kryston Snakebite hooklength material (plastic coated, kind of like a thin washing line!) for the cord.

Unless the weights are added all the components are plastic and so weigh hardly anything. Now I just need to see one creep up to the rod... B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger

Well, my 'ultimate bobbin' is now finished (having spent all Saturday afternoon driving all over Oxfordshire looking for the bits!). They're very basic but exactly what I need. I used the solar i-lite heads (http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/ilite01.html) and got isotopes for them, a selection of 5g and 10g weights which screw in the bottom (http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/fluoro01.html#addondragweight), and used some old Kryston Snakebite hooklength material (plastic coated, kind of like a thin washing line!) for the cord.

Unless the weights are added all the components are plastic and so weigh hardly anything. Now I just need to see one creep up to the rod... B)

[/quote/]

Come on then Anderoo lets see some picc's of your bobbins. I might copy them myself. Funny I was thinking of using snake bite for the cord myself if I made some (you read my mind). You've caused me another job now with your bloody bobbins! :angry:;)

Despite all of this a god knows how many PM's between myself,Richard and Jiqotai Im still searching for my ideal "cord" material.

Allthough happy with my old fashioned bobbins (and my new wind breaks are going to be even better for avoiding problems with wind) Im still looking for something that I can use to anchor them that wont be affected by the wind.Sadly (allthough the perfect thing design wise) the carp anglers "bicycle chain" is just to heavy for my liking,especially with the extra length I require.

Looked at lots of materials etc that can only move/bend in one direction but once agasin to be rigid enough to avoid the wind they are all to heavy.