Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Guest tigger
Despite all of this a god knows how many PM's between myself,Richard and Jiqotai Im still searching for my ideal "cord" material.

Allthough happy with my old fashioned bobbins (and my new wind breaks are going to be even better for avoiding problems with wind) Im still looking for something that I can use to anchor them that wont be affected by the wind.Sadly (allthough the perfect thing design wise) the carp anglers "bicycle chain" is just to heavy for my liking,especially with the extra length I require.

Looked at lots of materials etc that can only move/bend in one direction but once agasin to be rigid enough to avoid the wind they are all to heavy.

Budgie how about the beach style wind sheild, the type of wind break they use around the deck chairs ?

Tiger,my origonal "windbreak" was simply my large swing tip target board my brother made for me.I suppose its around 2' square.The new model Ive made is slightly bigger (tailored to the size of my buzzer bar set up) and has an extra "wall" hinged at right angles to it.I simply place it so one wall is parralell with the bar and the other"wing" on the side the wind is blowing from. Works fine but its one more bit of kit to carry and set up.

If I can find the right material for making my bobbin cords "windless" then it would just simplify things.

Your sugestion though would certainly work and overcome the issue of carrying and also be very flexible with its positioning.Another possible solution for at least one of the problems.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Despite all of this a god knows how many PM's between myself,Richard and Jiqotai Im still searching for my ideal "cord" material.

Allthough happy with my old fashioned bobbins (and my new wind breaks are going to be even better for avoiding problems with wind) Im still looking for something that I can use to anchor them that wont be affected by the wind.Sadly (allthough the perfect thing design wise) the carp anglers "bicycle chain" is just to heavy for my liking,especially with the extra length I require.

Looked at lots of materials etc that can only move/bend in one direction but once agasin to be rigid enough to avoid the wind they are all to heavy.

I don't know if this stuff is anygood its plastic so should be lighter than metal chain maybe worth a look Plastic cable chain

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Exactly the sort of thing we have been looking at Darren.Its now a matter of getting some to see if its flexible enough but rigid enough (if you know what I mean!) and also light enough in the long lengths required. Some of the stuff weve found looks ideal but is very expensive (over a tenner per metre!)

How about this:

A bobbin with a normal head and cord for calm conditions, except you attach a wide bore ring (or two) to the head. When it's windy, put a thin metal rod in the ground and it converts into a modern day monkey climber. Because you still clip the line into the normal bobbin and the ring(s) is wide and the rod thin, it shouldn't create any significant friction and would completely overcome any strength of wind. And when the wind stops - normal bobbins again. No need for expensive 'cord' material. (This wouldn't be any use for Richard though, because he needs to run cables through the 'cord'.)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Its by blokes playing around with different ideas like this though that advances are made.

Not sold on the needle thing at all Im afraid Anderoo.If I wanted a system like that I would just go back to the old style monky climber.In fact when I realy think about it I only gave them up after changing to the new (narrow bore PTFE type bodies) ones any way.I think old Rikky had it right in the first place and that things only changed to go with the modern bolt rig/hair styles.Or more acurately the rather poor design of the modern monkies wasnt so apparent due to these new rigs and the powerfull takes they created?

Edited by BUDGIE

Its by blokes playing around with different ideas like this though that advances are made.

Budgie I wasn't knocking it in any way shape or form. It's all axcellent stuff! I have admiration for the level of detail you guys are going into. And you're dead right it is..

Didnt think you was mate! just comenting on the whole thing!

Im really torn at the moment as to just stick with my bobbin/cord and windsheild aproach,or to just change the cord material or to go with something totally different!

The latter has very much been inspired by one of Richards ideas he showed me.I wont say as its his place to but allthough not wanting exactly the same as him there were several design features I liked and made me start thinking. Once again it all boils down to locating the correct material for the " chain cord"

Not sold on the needle thing at all Im afraid Anderoo.If I wanted a system like that I would just go back to the old style monky climber.In fact when I realy think about it I only gave them up after changing to the new (narrow bore PTFE type bodies) ones any way.I think old Rikky had it right in the first place and that things only changed to go with the modern bolt rig/hair styles.Or more acurately the rather poor design of the modern monkies wasnt so apparent due to these new rigs and the powerfull takes they created?

No problem Budgie, it's as good to eliminate things sometimes. Maybe it'll start someone else thinking.

It sounds like what you want for the cord is a lightweight plastic version of a bicycle chain? But I guess you already know that and can't find one!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music