Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes just the sort of thing weve been looking at John...but far mopre sensible prices.Really need to start contacting these companies to try and get some samples as actually playing with the different ones will be the only way we will know what to buy!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just caught up with this thread, which seemed to wander off topic a bit to encompass styles of fishing as well as the ultimate bobbin. I have one I bought about 20 years ago in The Netherlands whilst living there. I can't draw it but will try to describe it. Firstly it worked best at 90 degrees to the rod, rather than inline, which could be a problem with more than a 2 rod setup. The base was like a standard adjustable bank stick, attached to a flat U shaped piece of metal. This U had a hole near to each end of it, the bottom of the U being attached to the bankstick. The second part was like a 35mm film container with a screw top, with a hollow glass rod about a foot long sticking out of the bottom end. At the end of the rod was a small bulb (pre LED days and now defunct) with wires leading back to the 35mm container, where it connected to a 9 volt battery, which had it's on/off switch attached to the bottom (bit facing the line) of the container. Whipped to the front end of the rod was a bent wire clip which attached to the line. This clip was M shaped with a small o bit at the bottom middle part of the M where the line clipped in. The U piece had an O shaped insert with two lugs that fitted into the holes in the U. The 35mm container bit was a snug fit into the O, and could be slid back and forth to vary the weight on the line. It was extremely stable as it had no lateral movement, and precise tension could be placed on the line. It registered both normal and drop-back bites, and could be seen at night when you switched the light on. It needed the battery in at all times as that was an integral part of the ballast. Might be tempted now with a bit of modern technology and a friendly electro and mechanical engineer to try and build one (after the 2 dolls houses, model train layout, garden fencing etc etc !!)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Yes just the sort of thing weve been looking at John...but far mopre sensible prices.Really need to start contacting these companies to try and get some samples as actually playing with the different ones will be the only way we will know what to buy!

If you can find somewhere that does repairs to the machinery that uses this stuff, then you could probably get the used chain for nothing.

I used to work in repairing/refurbishing printing machinery, and it was used in that, ( I've now lost contact with the guys I worked with).

According to the links I posted some of it is known as 'bakery chain', used in conveyors I think.

There must be someone on AN with access to this stuff, there are enough members. I don't think you'd mind second hand, would you Budgie? :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I would settle for 3rd hand mate! Dont know about the Oxford Mafia though.... they are a lot posher than me! :D

I'd only be interested if they were hand-crafted from Cotswold stone, and came in little tweed cases :D:lol:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 1 month later...

As an update to the bobbin debate - I was using my "Wingham specials" last weekend at the fish-in and Steve noted that I use a bivvie peg as am anchor for the bobbin tethers rather than a clip. Using a peg allows greater freedom in rest and bobbin positioning as well as reducing the amount of the tether in the air when compared to using clips. This can allow lighter bobbins to be used even in quite windy situations (Wingham still needed heavy bobbins though as the undertow was really fierce). It's not exactly a new idea, and I know several other anglers who also use it.

Will