Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

I forgot about this topic!

My bobbins are now actually finished and tested! In short I love them! They behaved really well in heavy wind, they were really stable. I took them to Wingham to show to people but ended up only showing them to Budgie.

I think I need to add more resistors to the LED circuit mind you as it was a little bright. Plus the prototype electronic boxes are a little big, but I reckon I can shrink them right down!

I might post a video on here of them in action (or simulated action ;)) if I can find the time to make one.

Rich

• 7 months later...

I've just re-read this topic and it's got me going again :D

Did anyone make their ultimate bobbins? Any improvements planned?

My Solar ones were only OK in the end. My choice of cord was completely wrong (Snakebite seemed like a good idea, but normal wear and tear meant little bits of the coating got stripped away, causing tangles) and, probably the cord's fault again, unless I unclipped them by hand before striking I'd get in an almighty tangle, which ended up losing me fish.

I'm also not keen on the standard line clips that come with the i-Lite indicator heads. They're very fiddly to adjust.

They also were very not windproof... still unsure how to fix that.

So, I'm going to replace the line clips with something else from Solar (maybe the PTFE ones), and I've swapped the cord for lengths of leadcore with the lead removed. This is tough, stiffish but weightless. And yet to be tested!

By the way, you can now get 25 carat gold Solar indicators :rolleyes:http://www.solartackle.co.uk/indcustom/gold01.html

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Andrew, your original bobbins are still in the clubhouse at Wingham for members and guests to borrow.

The same goes for mine, although I'm happy with them and don't plan any changes. Mind you, I'm open to any ideas - this has been an excellent topic.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've just realised there may be 2 types of my bobbins in the clubhouse as Terry, Tom and I made some extra ones up with different line clips. The ones I favour use the Gardner Freeflow line clips as per this photo:

Bobbin2.jpg

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, I'm going to try to make the ones in the clubhouse better next time I'm there (next weekend actually, work party time!). I had 15lb mono on them before, which tangled pretty badly. I'll have a think about that. I have some old pole winders, I might use them and maybe that would solve the problem.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've swapped the cord for lengths of leadcore with the lead removed. This is tough, stiffish but weightless. And yet to be tested!

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could thread some of the thin wire through it ti stiffen it a bit. I wonder if rig tubeing would be any good ?

I scrapped my "Ultimate Bobbins" as I just couldnt find a supply of the plastic "tracking" we were looking at for the "cord" at a sensible price.

Stuck with my old lightweight bobbins and 40lb Amnesia for the cord as Ive done for many years. Got the new Mk II "Bobbin house" wind sheild for trying this year though.As it resembles a beach "wind break" its far more portable and adaptable than my old perspex one

I still like the idea of the ultra light "bicycle chain" plastic tracking to make it windproof though and will keep my eye out for suitable material.

For those who dont remember the origonal material we looked at was some thing like £75!!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've just been asked what components I use in my bobbins. They are:

1) Wire for its resistance to tangling. I use some titanium wire that the late Gerry Castles gave me. However almost any sort of wire will do although it helps to use a knottable one. Certainly wire is better than fluorocarbon or mono, and definitely better than braid!

2) A bulldog clip to go on your bankstick. This was the idea of Alex, one of the Wingham members.

3) A betalight. You can use Starlights instead but betalights are cheaper in the long run.

4) A short length of clear silicon tubing at the bottom of the betalight to hold it in place

5) A longer length of fluorescent catapult elastic at the other end of the betalight. This is highly visible during the day and at dawn/dusk. I use the spare elastic for Shakespear catapults.

6) A Gardner Freeflow line clip. I tried several but found this the best. Some of the others I tried were combined with bodies to give some weight. However I prefer to have the option of minimal weight for minimal resistance. That's not necessary for bream, but can be for perch.

7) To add weight I pinch split shot onto the wire. This system is very flexible as I can quickly add or subtract weight according to changing conditions. To stop the bobbin blowing about when its windy I simply move some or all of the split shot away from the bobbin so that these shot are on the ground. This works well as an anchor.

The picture a few posts ago shows it better than these words.

A lot of people now attach their bobbins "loop style" by this I mean they attach the non bobbin end of the cord just below the alarm.I like this as it means the bobbin will be automaticly pulled off the line as I strike with no chance of it being dracced into the butt ring as can happen with small bobbins attached "loop" style

I still prefer to peg my bobbin down directly under the rod. I carry a couple of "cup" screws to do this and have a simple loop in the end of my cord.This can then be retained by the cup screw on soft or hard ground or even on wooden platforms.On platforms covered by wire I just loop the cord through itself on the wire.

Metal "Terry clips" are avaiable from most DIY/Ironmongers in different sizes and are cheaper than big bulldog clips.

I also use the same "anchor" shot technique as Steve in rough conditions but even though technically the extra weight shouldnt be noticed in the rougher conditiond that dictate its use Im still not 100% comfortable so still look for alternatives.I dont think Ive ever had a missed oportunity due to it but on waters that contain big bream of the size Wingham does I dont want to take any chances!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!