Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

I used climbers for many years for carp Tica and still do in a slightly modified way for some catting. Trouble with them (especially the latter "narrow bore" versions like you show) is that they can be anything but free running.Get out in the garden and try pullinh on the rig end of a set up to see what I mean.They are also very prone to jamming up through the needles being bent,not set up perfectly or by dirt in the bobbins bore.

The old style "Ricky Gibbinson" ones were not as prone to these problems due to the far greater bore, Im sure you are aware of this origonal Monkey design but if your not let me know.

For ease of setting up the needles (or aerials as some call them) I found a needle bar (as used on the origonal Gardner rod pods) or an off the bank stick "Satalite Aerial" system such as the one made by Chris Brown invaluable. Once gain if you dont know what Im refering to just ask and I will post pics or photos.

The latest incarnation of the monkey climber is the short aerial type that is mounted "swinger" style off the front buzz bar some carpers are using.Quite frankly I dont understand the point of these! maybe a now days carper could explain? the "drop" being to short for other species (IMO) and to little to be greatly affected by the wind with a heavy carp type hanger bobbin.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Metal "Terry clips" are avaiable from most DIY/Ironmongers in different sizes and are cheaper than big bulldog clips.

I tried these (for most banksticks you need the half inch size) but found the bulldog clips even better as they're more secure. However the ones I'm currently using are indeed overly large. I store each complete bobbin on a pole winder and put them into a Stewart float box that also holds a box of swan shot and 3 modified Fox Pike Swingers. So somewhat smaller bulldog clips would give me a little more space.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Ive got two sizes Steve.Both are used on a stndrd Gardner adjustable bank stick.One sizes fits the thicker outer part and the other the thinner insert. Both are well secure on this make/type.Certainly cut down on space but not overly important performance wise......they do look prettier though!

Heres a couple of early articles I wrote on DIY indicaters that might be usefull or give people some ideas about various components-

twhanger04.jpg

BOBBIN/CARP HANGER

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/436

twspringer.jpg

CARP SPRINGER INDICATOR

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/712

twpikedrop07.jpg

PIKE DROP OFF INDICATOR

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/481

Edited by BUDGIE

I used climbers for many years for carp Tica and still do in a slightly modified way for some catting. Trouble with them (especially the latter "narrow bore" versions like you show) is that they can be anything but free running.Get out in the garden and try pullinh on the rig end of a set up to see what I mean.They are also very prone to jamming up through the needles being bent,not set up perfectly or by dirt in the bobbins bore.

The old style "Ricky Gibbinson" ones were not as prone to these problems due to the far greater bore, Im sure you are aware of this origonal Monkey design but if your not let me know.

For ease of setting up the needles (or aerials as some call them) I found a needle bar (as used on the origonal Gardner rod pods) or an off the bank stick "Satalite Aerial" system such as the one made by Chris Brown invaluable. Once gain if you dont know what Im refering to just ask and I will post pics or photos.

The latest incarnation of the monkey climber is the short aerial type that is mounted "swinger" style off the front buzz bar some carpers are using.Quite frankly I dont understand the point of these! maybe a now days carper could explain? the "drop" being to short for other species (IMO) and to little to be greatly affected by the wind with a heavy carp type hanger bobbin.

Remember those days well Budgie. My first pod was a Gardner with the sattelite system. Also had a Chris Brown system which at the time was a cracking bit of kit which was made even better by changing the plastic screws and collars with ali ones made on the nightshift :D along with umpteen variations of P.T.F.E. bobbins. Also made some special flanged feet so you could screw the pod down onto landing stages which was invaluable on some of the French waters such as Boulancourt. Went a bit thicker later with the Solar sattelite system and a heavy stainless pod but found that you really had to polish up the needles and spray them with P.T.F.E. dispersent to get the best out of it. I fully understand what you mean about bent rods, alignment, dirt in bobbins and hang up however the theory is that the lesser the contact area,the easier the movement. With the ones that I have just made up, the needles are Teflon coated and the guide holes in the bobbins have been worked on to achieve a very smooth and rounded surface finish with a fair bit of clearance between the bobbin and the needle which results in minimum surface contact and room for bits of dirt to drop through. I have done some testing emulating a rigged up rod and the bobbins move very freely. Obviously it is critical for the needles to be straight and it certainly works best when the needles are placed equi distance between the rod rings. The main advantage for me is stability in wind however I have not tried them in anger yet but will certainly be giving them a go in the spring

I thought you would know what I was waffling on about!

When I had Qwik Rigs one of my most profitable lines (well percentage wise) was our Needle/Aerial Case. Simply a clear plastic postal tube (first found them when I was sent a year planner in one!) with foam in each end cap and a nice black mettalic sticker on! (incidentally the most expensive component at 10p!) cost around 18p to produce and the tackle shop theives(!) retailed them for around a £5! I hasten to say I didnt get no where near that much for them but still made good profit! Carpers then quickly realised the importance of looking after their needles/aerials!

I thought you would know what I was waffling on about!

When I had Qwik Rigs one of my most profitable lines (well percentage wise) was our Needle/Aerial Case. Simply a clear plastic postal tube (first found them when I was sent a year planner in one!) with foam in each end cap and a nice black mettalic sticker on! (incidentally the most expensive component at 10p!) cost around 18p to produce and the tackle shop theives(!) retailed them for around a £5! I hasten to say I didnt get no where near that much for them but still made good profit! Carpers then quickly realised the importance of looking after their needles/aerials!

It would appear that there is a bit of a market for what is termed as old school set ups and I have often seen comments on other forums enquiring after sattelite systems which do not appear to exist apart from the smallones you have mentioned previously which as far as I can see have very little if any use. When you think about it though, tubes in various diameters and lengths are very handy for keeping all sorts of things

I wonder if it would be possible to put bearings in monkey climber bobbins ?

Problem with using bearings is that they would have to be open in order to workand not sealed which would encourage all sorts of dirt to get inside. What would be more feasible would be to have wheels in the bobbin running diametrically opposite to each other oround the needle but I dread to think what it would cost to produce such an animal . On thinking about it the wheels could be replaced with sealed bearings. Very complicated where you really looking for simplicity.