Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Had a bit of a play today and managed to do a first prototype apart from the hinge bracket.I fiddled about with different bobbin arrangements but do like the hinge gate mechanism so modified a fox swinger to fit. It is surprising how easy you can get twist in the system so to make it tight I have used both adhesive and screws to lock everything up which seems to work very well. A sliding weight has been added to the upper part of the arm which is easily held in place with 'O' rings but a rear mounted counter balance I think is a must. I am trying to make it so that everything comes apart and relatively easy to replace. The mounting bracket will take a bit of thinking about although I have got a couple of ideas how to make it work. I have added a few photos as to where I have got which I hope will be self explanatory. If I was to make long non adjustable arms I think I would go for carbon blanks. The closed length is 2 foot and the maximum extended length is 3 foot 6 inches. This of couse could be made longer or shorter. Its a pity that I could not find suitable square section ali tube as that would have saved a lot of work and would have negated most of the possible twist problems.

post-8110-1232843089_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1232843125_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1232843148_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1232843167_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1232843401_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1232843196_thumb.jpg

Looks good Tinca, but much to long for me. I was inspired to take a trip to B&Q though :), bought some rod/tube and a set of cheap coloured plastic handled screwdrivers. These will make some new heads, and should look very pretty :)

I will be interested how the long arms actually perform in practise.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Been as busy as Tinca :)

Indicators500.jpg

Set of three.................... counterbalance weights in different positions.

Indicators2.jpg

Drop off setting

Indicators3.jpg

Standard front setting

Amazing what you can do with some plastic handled screwdrivers :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Im still at the planning stage! but think Ive come up with a possible hinge system! Im going to get out an old broken brolly tommorow and see if the hinge between the rib and the spoke will do the job! I envisage cutting the rib off leaving just an inch either side of the hinge.This can than be used to attach the hinge to the bankstick (like the feet on a rod ring).The spoke most likely will be too heavy for using as the arm of the indicater so I should imagine that I will cut this back to just leaving an inch or so to attach a fibre glass or carbon arm to.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I tried out my bobbins at the weekend, and having swapped the cord material to the hollow leadcore, they work much better (i.e. they don't tangle any more). I think I'll just put better line clips on them and carry on using them until I have a session where they blow about in the wind so much I snap and make some swingers!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks for that link, Budgie.

My old mate Alex recently showed me a drifter float he'd made. Unfortunately it was too dark to see properly, but it seemed to stop the drifter spinning. It may be a similar fixing arrangement will work on a swinger. I hope to see him at the weekend so will ask him then.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Managed to spend a couple of hours in the shed today but it wasn't half cold. Anyway back to the telescopic swinger prototype. Having lokked at several ways to make a bracket to mount the swinger arms and also adapt to bank sticks of varying diameters I decided that the easiest way was to make one as in the photograph. It is not yet finished and will be slotted at either side to facilitate 2 jubilee clips for attachment to the bank sticks. One thing I have found is that when extended there is no need for a sliding weight on the arm in front of the pivot pin but there is certainly a need for adjustable weighting behind the pivot pin. I have just ordered some brass bar off e-bay to make these with. The other thing that needs to be done is to put a limiter on to control the upward movement of the swinger. This will be easily achieved by drilling and tapping a hole in the bracket beneath the rear arm and fitting an adjustment screw. One thing I will say is that when I make the finshed models I will probably use carbon tube and rod instead of aluminium and fibreglass. I have gone away from the idea of anything extending behind the bankstick ans have incorporated sufficient room behind the pivot by extending the leg of the bracket. Up to now everything seems to be working as it should and by next weekend the prototype should be virtually complete.

post-8110-1233521814_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1233521854_thumb.jpg

post-8110-1233521879_thumb.jpg

I was reading one of John Wilsons books regarding bobbins/ monkey climbers and he reckons that you don't get as good registration with monkey climbers as you do with bobbins. He says the bobbin will move up the same distance as the line taken but the monkey climber moves less so not as true a bite reading with the climbers. How true this is I have no idea.

Surely a bobbin will move the same amount only if the angle of line to bobbin is 45 degrees (for a rod horizontal to ground), as soon as the bobbin is pulled up, and that angle increases, the amount of movement of the bobbin will progressively get less and less for a given amount of line movement.

Geoff

Bit of confusion here lads.What JW says is correct but only if you use a bobbin the same way he does.

He lets his bobbin hang down on a vertical line from the buzzer/butt ring as opposed to placing it midway between two rings (where most people also place their monkey needle) Therefore the amount of line taken exactly equals the distance the bobbin (set up JW style) moves. If a bobbin/monky is placed midwaybetween two rings the rise will be half of the distance that the line is tked due to the two "arms" of line either side of it. Monkys fished tight to the buzzer or reel tend to jam up easier.

NB: I presume its half some one whoes good at geometry may tell us different but its certainly not the same as the verticaly hung bobbin.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!