Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

They look great Phil but they seem more like swingers than bobbins to me.

They are and made several years before swinger were available commercially.

I did say arrive at a light arm with a bobbin on top.

The whole thrust of this discussion has been about creating light bobbins that don't move in the wind. It can't be done, it defies the laws of physics unless the bobbin is on a ridged connector e.g. an arm.

phil h.

Thanks Phill those are indeed the ones.Trouble is I cant find mine ant where! Dont think they are comercially available any more (I did like the clip once you got used to it!) so will have to knock up some more of my own.

I still prefer a bobbin and cord but have to admit that the arms dont get affected by the wind so much.Also quicker to set up and no need for a "Bobbin house"!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The whole thrust of this discussion has been about creating light bobbins that don't move in the wind. It can't be done, it defies the laws of physics unless the bobbin is on a ridged connector e.g. an arm.

The plastic tracking we looked at would have most likely done the job Phill it was just to expensive!

The plastic tracking we looked at would have most likely done the job Phill it was just to expensive!

Its only around 5quid per metre if you make it your Budgie!

Phil it can be done with the tracking as Budgie says. It will move up and down but not side to side hence is wind proof. I don't want/like swingers, apart from anything else I'd almost certainly break them! I broke a bankstick by running into it last year.

Rich

I'd have some doubts about it if it's like the tracking somebody put a link to. That tracking would twist in strong winds rendering it ridged by locking each link of chain against the other one it connects to. This can be checked by playing around with a bike chain to see what I mean.

It was a bit of a party piece when we were kids and messed about with bikes. By twisting your hand and arm against the natural bend of the chain you could make it ridged and straight and hold the chain out like a rod

phil h.

I'd have some doubts about it if it's like the tracking somebody put a link to.

My homemade version does not twist. I never tested the commercial one as it was too expensive. I think it depends on the 'hinges'.

Rich

Aha! as you may have noticed, I make most of my own bits and bobbins as well :)

I have swingers with 18" arms which describe an arc of about 30" when set down low.

The monkey climber setup was brilliant for stabilising the bobbin and can be set to give minimum resistance and a very long travel. A piece of plastic overflow pipe and a 24" rod rest with no head (or anything similar). Set this at an angle of about 45deg pointing forwards. Used that setup for several years before the hair rig made it redundant.

Den

How has a hair rig made bite detection redundant?

I saw a hair rig for the first time yesterday, and was wondering what they were invented for. Don't they casue loads of false bites - people striking at fish which are merely sucking on a piece of corn floating half an inch out of the danger zone that the hook point presents for said fishes lips?

Edufication please.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

Arf thats a seemingly simple question that would require an extremely long answer to give you all the facts! I will see if I can cut and paste something from previous threads on this subject.If not I will try and make the time to answer.

My homemade version does not twist. I never tested the commercial one as it was too expensive. I think it depends on the 'hinges'.

Rich

Ok if you're intent on some sort of chain mechanism, here's some thought for you. I've mentioned messing about with bikes already. Well I also had several motorbikes after I finished with pushbikes and I did all my own mechanics.

Honda's mainly and 4 strokes up to 500 cc.

With 4s they had a cam chain, which was very thin, 1/4" wide on the smaller bikes 185 cc and below. I made a bracelet out of one one time. That's how thin they were. In total if you split the chain open they were about 28" long.

I've had a quick look and found a US site that do them for about $17. http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp...GroupID=4603757

Might be more than you want to pay, but these thing stretch and need replacing, so if you find a motorbike shop that does repairs, you'd probably get them for nothing off them, as they bin them when they replace them.

Go and have talk with the guys in the shop, have a look at one and see if you can use it.

Me, I'll continue to use ally arms with the bobbin on the top, serve me well for hundreds of bream over the 25 + years I've used them.

Edited by phil hackett

phil h.

Bike chains (as used for some carp bobbins) were where we got the initial chain idea from Phil.Problem is that in the lengths we think we need they are just to heavy.Weve been looking at "plastic" chains to overcome the weight issue but as said the ones avaiable cost a lot of dough.Richard made some up that worked but were still a bit to bulky for my liking.Im looking forward to seeing his Mkll version!

Trouble is I am kind of with you as I worry that by getting them delicate/light enough we will loose the rigidity we need to make them work.Your point about twisting and therefore "locking up" could well be the main problem if we can get them light enough.

I could quite happily stick with my bobbins and either "shot on the deck" or "bobbin house" anti wind measures.Worked for a "few" doubles for me!! so they should carry on working ok! If Im on an exposed swim like the Point Swim in a gale I will swap to my newly made arm indicators.BUT the whole point about this whole thread and excercise is that its been both fun and interesting trying to solve the one or two problems with better solutions than I/we have come up with up to now!

A good cure for pre season Wingham tension!