Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Hi Angly

I think I know what you mean, sections of plastic hinged with a ribborn or flexible plastic? If so that is essentially how much chain works. Maybe I got it wrong?

Rich

No hinge required Rich, just a sheet of appropriate thickness platicard (from modelling outlet) say two inches wide and then however long your 'chain' needs to be. The plastic card can flex up and down when mounted, but won't move much side to side, and being only (e.g.) 0.5mm thick won't present much of a face to a side-wind anyway.

Just an idea. Check it out with thin card first (cereal packet type card). I could be talking rubbish.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

No hinge required Rich, just a sheet of appropriate thickness platicard (from modelling outlet) say two inches wide and then however long your 'chain' needs to be. The plastic card can flex up and down when mounted, but won't move much side to side, and being only (e.g.) 0.5mm thick won't present much of a face to a side-wind anyway.

Just an idea. Check it out with thin card first (cereal packet type card). I could be talking rubbish.

Aaah see what you mean, good idea!

Rich

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the touching poem, glad to hear you have it under control. I just thought I'd offer advice as I was unaware of this fact.

Phil -> yes, I design medical instruments for a living.

Did you make the 5 foot bank stick too? Do you find it convenient to fish with a rod set so high off the ground?

Sorry Arf,

I was pulling someone else leg but people like yourself started adding genuine well meaning advice and kind of got caught in the cross fire - hence the admission, I feel bad now sorry, :(

Nope didn't make the bankstick as they are cheap and readily available :P, to be honest it is a pain having the rods so high but if you saw the line bites you get at Wingham they are unfortunately necessary.

Rich

I guess last season I knew exactly what I wanted but I couldn't find anything suitable so I had to make them myself. Once you go to the trouble of making your own equipment you may aswell go to the extra effort of making sure it has every last feature you want, hence the topic title.

Last season I invented the rectangular wheel, this season I am mostly inventing the semicircular wheel.

There are a few (and not all that good) reasons why not swingers: they would be annoying to wire up, I'm not convinced I could make a good enough hinge that would be stable enough for the length whilst still being smooth. Finally I'm clumsy, I ran head first into a bankstick last season and broke it in two, I just know I would break long swingers in minutes, part of the beauty of the chain design is it can be fixed on the bank without any tools or fuss!

Of course its a really personal thing, I love my bobbins but most people wouldn't and to be honest I just don't like swingers much!

Rich

I can certainly understand why you are trying to achieve what you are and the comments regarding what you want is not available. I have had some fun with the swingers but came to a dead stop because I had not got the kit to progress further which is why I bought a lathe soon to be followed by a small milling machine. (My wife does not know this yet :D ) . My son wants to design in a rotary contact arrangement on the hinge which would give a similar effect to your bobbins in terms of a light show but to be honest I am more interested in getting the basic principles of movement, loading, line release, transportation and ease of assembly on the bank right. Just got to get the lathe sorted and then I can make a proper job of them. It is good fun making your your own equipment and more so when it works. You do realise though that you will need to design some special steps or you may be doing this :bounce:

Sorry Arf,

I was pulling someone else leg but people like yourself started adding genuine well meaning advice and kind of got caught in the cross fire - hence the admission, I feel bad now sorry, :(

Nope didn't make the bankstick as they are cheap and readily available :P, to be honest it is a pain having the rods so high but if you saw the line bites you get at Wingham they are unfortunately necessary.

Rich

So you're a urine extractor then? Sound more like a banker to me.... 5 ft drop needed my arse!

Let see the photos so we can all have a laugh :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

phil h.

No worries! I didn't read the thread from the beginning as I probably should have.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

3' 8" my drops are (just measured them!) I peg my bobbin cords down to the ground directly under each rod and have the bobbin between the butt and first intermediate ring.

I dont like having the cord tied to the bankstick be it directly below the buzzer or half way up or whatever! Mine pull off imediately I pick the rod up or if Im a bit slow the reel starts to churn.No tangles that way.

Remember bigger the bream (well in theory any way) the bigger the line bite.Im not sure that the height a lot of the guys have there rods set at is 100% necessary but you definately need them long enough to determine between a classic liner and a real take. My length has come about by playing around with the drop over many years big bream fishing.More from other waters where the groups/shoals of fish are bigger and liners more regular.

Might not get anywhere near as many liners at Wingham due to lower numbers of fish but still dont want to risk unecessary spooking if I do have a fish or two cross my lines.

Bobbins v swingers? Yes I think your all right the swinger is in theory the far better option to achieve what we want ie a long drop indicater thats wind proof. But as several have also said getting the materials and having the equipment/skills to make what we want is the problem. For example my "Umbrella hinge" system that Ive decided on is well sound but after testing (back garden in the recent windy weather) the glass arms I have are not really rigid enough to stay stable in strong wind.Whether carbon ones would or not I dont know. Cant remember if my old ones were glass or just plastic coated metal (Phill?) They were certainly well over 2' long and didnt bend at all.

So Im not really getting any where either! Will keep playing but not to worried asIm not that worried about going back to my bobbins.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Could always attach a propeller onto the bobbin, with a microprocessor controller telemetry system driving it such that the effects of the wind are canceled out? :D

Or even, a monkey climber! (Can't remember what the problem with monkey climbers was again...)

Wow, this is a really cool thread. The complexities of bite indicators has always gone right over my head - I always used a wooden peg - but I'm finding this really thought provoking :-)

How do you lot prefer your bobbins to come detached upon striking - they are loosely slipped and anchored so they simply fall off when you lift the rod?

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

The ultimate bobbin 'chain' is of course linked at molecular level...think ribbon cable but instead a strip of plasticard of suitable thickness.

Kind of played around along these lines with banding strip plastic.Principles fine but in reality to stop any lateral movement it meant the actual up/down movement became quite stiff. Like Ive said it seems that getting the balance is the problem.The carp style bike chain cords work great as they are short and the weight isnt an issue.

How do you lot prefer your bobbins to come detached upon striking - they are loosely slipped and anchored so they simply fall off when you lift the rod?

All are attached/anchored some way its more about where they are anchored/attached.

Come along to the Wingham Fish in Arf (even if you dont fish) You might be interested in seeing all of the various set ups people use for modern specimen hunting.

Also I could explain about the hair rig/bolt rig/indicater question you asked about.......if youve got an hour to spare!! Ive looked through a lot of my stuff and cant find any one article that would explain it realy.Its just an evolution over a period of half a century!