Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Any of these any good?=

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-PLASTIC-COATED-TOO...=item746a58fa01

Or if you need it to be ultra secure how about hose clips that you can loosen to remove/adjust and the tighten?

Cheers Budgie! They might be OK; I expect they grip a bit better than bare metal. Not exactly what I'm looking for though. However, I can do new searches for 'tool clips', I didn't know they were also called that.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm pretty certain about what I'm doing at the hinge end but I'm still undecided about the other end! Even simple things! See you don't really need to hinge the bobbin/head if you just have it "in line" as the hinge is only really necessary if you want the bobbin "vertical" if you see what I mean.Ive got hinges but might just put my heads on "pike drop off" style.Especially if I try a "non clip" clip system.

I like the simple "curved arm" set up of the Rollover Indicators but I'm not sure until I build and test a prototype if they will still release cleanly without the counter weight to "roll them over".

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just a quick one for all those who are thinking of mounting the arm half way up the bank stick to keep the length of the arm down.....

I'm not so sure that it will work the way you think! I say that as everyone's going on about a 4 foot drop (I personally don't think that quite much is needed but thats a different topic) you then say that instead of a four foot or what ever arm (you would actually need longer depending on how far away the hinge is from the point the bobbin was attached to the arm) you would use a two foot one but fix it half way (two times 2 foot being 4 foot I presume being the thinking) Problem is that the arm doesnt go up vertically it per scribes an arc,Therefore in theory once the arm has risen 90 degrees it will be moving back away from the alarm and should release under the tension?

I may be wrong and will check in practice but thats how it strikes me?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just a quick one for all those who are thinking of mounting the arm half way up the bank stick to keep the length of the arm down.....

I'm not so sure that it will work the way you think! I say that as everyone's going on about a 4 foot drop (I personally don't think that quite much is needed but thats a different topic) you then say that instead of a four foot or what ever arm (you would actually need longer depending on how far away the hinge is from the point the bobbin was attached to the arm) you would use a two foot one but fix it half way (two times 2 foot being 4 foot I presume being the thinking) Problem is that the arm doesnt go up vertically it per scribes an arc,Therefore in theory once the arm has risen 90 degrees it will be moving back away from the alarm and should release under the tension?

I agree, I was thinking about this problem. I think it won't be a problem if you mount the arm under the alarm rather than under the reel.

I can't decide whether to make swingers or bobbins. I can get some of that conduit stuff free from work from some old robots! I may even not bother at all this year, last years just need minor repairs and will do another season just fine!

Rich

For those who are making swingers, the attached sketch may help. The longer the arm, the less effect the arc of movement will have on the lateral displacement of the bobbin head. I must admit that I very much like the basic design of the roll over but you would have to have the bend on the bar at the right angle to get the right amount of drop that you want. Not a problem in the down position but needs to stay on the bar as it is rising past the horizontal.

Anyway I hope that the diagram helps.

Hmm, good point! How long an arm do you think we need? I guess I normally have a drop of about 30-40" with bobbins (2.5-3ft).

Maybe with a hinge at both ends of the arm and a ball type line clip set tight, it wouldn't matter about the arc?

(All I really want is a decent night's kip in windy weather, it can't be that hard! :rolleyes: )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

(All I really want is a decent night's kip in windy weather, it can't be that hard! :rolleyes: )

Heavy weight! I tend to use heavy bobbins with everything tighter the wind tends to make much less difference! The light ones tend to move when the wind catches the rod tip or the line or allow the tow to take hold!

You should try it but 20 quid says my bobbin weight on your bobbins mean much much less movement in the wind!

Rich

If you are thinking about mounting the swinger directly beneath the rod rest/buzzer, the sketch below will give you some indication of what movement will be on the bobbin through the arc that the arm takes. A point perhaps to consider is the excessive lateral movement of the bobbin.It would be twice what it would be compared to mounting the arm down the rest so that the upward movement equals the downward movement. Hope this helps