Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Looks exactly the same as I brought last year and are sat dissasembled in front of me now! In case its any help to you after playing around Ive found the following with them-

Easily pulled apart,the line clips/bobbins are pretty crap,hinges have a little bit of lateral movement in them,the sliding weights fit ok on 3mm rod,3mm is a bit to small for a snug fit on the hinges or bobbin higers (if you wanted to use them) 4mm tube (smallest tube I could find) is a bit to big to fit.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Looks exactly the same as I brought last year and are sat dissasembled in front of me now! In case its any help to you after playing around Ive found the following with them-

Easily pulled apart,the line clips/bobbins are pretty crap,hinges have a little bit of lateral movement in them,the sliding weights fit ok on 3mm rod,3mm is a bit to small for a snug fit on the hinges or bobbin higers (if you wanted to use them) 4mm tube (smallest tube I could find) is a bit to big to fit.

Oh dear!

Useful info though. I will probably get 3mm rods, cut to the right length (whatever that is...) and araldite them into the hinges. The fact they come apart easily is good.

If the line clips can be unscrewed from the bobbin heads I will probably replace them with ball clips, as they have a lot more free movement (something like the Solar PTFE Hanger Ball Line Clip here: http://www.jktackle.co.uk/acatalog/_Clips_...ag_Weights.html )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Did you try fishing progressively closer in until you stopped getting liners?

No, I didn't. I did try swapping baits but it didn't make any difference. I was only fishing about 20 yards out, over very little bait - it was mid-January and cold, so it's possible that a group of fish were just hanging around in mid-water not feeding.

The only reason I was fishing was because I'd just got a night ticket and had a work party the next day...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Both the diagrams are correct. I think that where the confusion comes in as Budgie indicated is in the term drop which in the diagrams related to the vertical distance between the top position and bottom position of the bobbin. The actual lentgth of line movement can vary considerably dependant on the angles created by the positioning of the bobbins in relation to the guide spacings. The diagrams were only to show the bobbin positions within the arch of movement of arms of different length and to show the the lateral (sideways) movement of the bobbin when the arm fulcrum (hinge) is placed either at the top of the bankstick or 2 feet down. The minimum sideways movement of the bobbin occurs when from the horizontal the upward movement is the same as the downward movement. I totally agree with Dens findings that the rollover type arm is limited in movement and in order to cover Anderoos requirement for a line bite then a bobbin with a captive line clip is required. Another point which I believe needs to be considered is line release when a bite occurs as the last thing you want is the arm continuing to rise. Ideally the arm needs to come up against a stop. This also requires the attachment to the bankstick to be solid and not move. As Budgie states, the mechanics are not quite as simple as they might first appear. Having spent a considerable time in making something that works and overcomes the many problems that exist, I am only trying to help. Whilst I can understand that not everyone relates to the principles of applied mechanics, it is how they work. It is excellent that people are trying to find solutions to problems and I am quite happy to offer any help that I can.

Thanks Tinca, as I said, the fault is with me and not you! I have one of those brains that struggles with this type of thing.

Could you have a go at answering the following question for me please? If I get those swingers I linked to earlier and simply swap the short arm for a longer one (say, 2ft) and swap the bankstick attachment for a sturdy clip, and clip it halfway up the front bankstick (rod held 4ft up), would the line be pulled out of the clip before the bobbin head reached the rod (becuase of the arc)? If the bobbin head was initially hanging just below the horizontal?

I hope I explained that right :rolleyes:

Oh dear!

Useful info though. I will probably get 3mm rods, cut to the right length (whatever that is...) and araldite them into the hinges. The fact they come apart easily is good.

If the line clips can be unscrewed from the bobbin heads I will probably replace them with ball clips, as they have a lot more free movement (something like the Solar PTFE Hanger Ball Line Clip here: http://www.jktackle.co.uk/acatalog/_Clips_...ag_Weights.html )

Yes the bobbins are moulded in two halves and when pulled apart you can remove the "bobbin hinge" and the line clip.

Re fitting them together I'm thinking of sleeving the rod so I can just push it in for an interference fit so I can leave the hinges on the rests but remove the arms for transporting.Same maybe at the other end in case I want to change bobbins.

Even though the sliding weights fit the carbon rod they are a bit to heavy and bend the rod to much.Also having all that weight right at the end would defeat the point of trying to keep the indicator sensitive.

If I had a lathe I would be tempted to turn them down though as then they would be usable.

The choice between 3mm rod and 4mm tube was a difficult one that was eventually settled by price! I hope I wont regret that choice!

Tinca every thing you put into this is of both great interest and use to me!Your engineering and mechanical knowledge is of immense help.I'm sorry if my dismissing of your diagrams lead you to believe otherwise. As you say it is the term drop that causes confusion.I don't disagree that they are correct it was more that I thought you hadn't understood the point I was trying to make/problem I was trying to understand/solve.

The big thing that I'm considering now is one you've just mentioned,that of line release.Unlike a pegged down bobbin you have nothing "solid" to pull (or the fish to pull against) to release the line.A normal set up would just result in you striking and still having x amount of inches of arm still attached! A definite recipe for a tangle.This is also one of the reasons the arm must "self release" at a predetermined point.The "rollover" system seems easier to achieve this with than the clip.My original ones had a moulded head that facilitated the holding of the line and its release purely by the shape of the moulding on one side. I curse no longer having them and a crap memory!

Thanks Tinca, as I said, the fault is with me and not you! I have one of those brains that struggles with this type of thing.

Could you have a go at answering the following question for me please? If I get those swingers I linked to earlier and simply swap the short arm for a longer one (say, 2ft) and swap the bankstick attachment for a sturdy clip, and clip it halfway up the front bankstick (rod held 4ft up), would the line be pulled out of the clip before the bobbin head reached the rod (becuase of the arc)? If the bobbin head was initially hanging just below the horizontal?

I hope I explained that right :rolleyes:

My initial playing around shows it does pull out as the bobbin/clip is moving away from the direction of pull once it goes above 90 degrees.

The more I look at it the more I think Paul got it right in the first place with his "counter balanced" swingers.

But still interested in his reply as my results could just be limited by the stuff I'm using? ie a tighter adjusted more free running clip would rise still? All though I think Richard is also right about this being less of a problem with front mounted arms? Might swap mine over to the front rests and see.Only thing I immediately worry about though is that the "reverse arc" this would indeed create would cause a variation of resistance that I wouldn't want?

I too had hoped it would just be a pretty simple case of just swapping the arm length as well!

Gawd, it's all getting a bit beyond me now! Who'd have thought that it would be so complicated to try to keep your alarms silent :rolleyes:

I have no skill or in fact the right tools (and wouldn't know how to use them if I did!) when it comes to this, so if my simple adaptation doesn't work, it's back to bobbins for me!

(I have thought of a way to make sure the line doesn't ping out of the clip once the head goes past 90 degrees, invovling a little rolling wheel with a groove in the middle held above the bobbin head, but I'm not even contemplating trying to make one!)

I wish that plastic bike chain stuff was cheaper...

EDIT: OK, how about this - instead of a single length of rod between bankstick and bobbin, what if you cut it in half and added another little hinge in the middle? Would that stop the line pinging out past 90 degrees problem?

Edited by Anderoo