Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Pipe benders arrived this morning so I have just been down the shed for a play. The one thing that I was not happy about with the current design was that by mounting from the side of the bankstick, the arm did not rise and fall in line with the rod, but by now being able to bend the arms accurately the problem has been solved. Whilst the swingers can be mounted front or rear, the length of the arms will need to be shortened a few inches to suit the spacings on the rod rings. Playing about with the movement of the line through the rings, I think thast I will need to make some mods to the Gardner bobbins to incorporate some ball clips as they seem to work much better with braid than the plastic variety or better still make up some additional sets so that they are interchangeable with the existing ones. I did look at PTFE balls to reduce friction but being a soft material I think they would soon wear with braid. Slowly getting there but hopefully worth it in the end.

Just realised put 2 pictures showing same thing so now put right

Edited by tincatinca

Perfect mate absolutely perfect!

Not having the engineering skills or tools I'm going to have to carry on with my "modifying existing bits" approach but I really do think you've got it 100% now.Very nice and very impressed.

The biggest thing is keeping the rigidity of the arm over the required length without it being to heavy/causing to much resistance at the bobbin end.Your counterbalance system has sorted this out totally.

Don't know if the arm being perfectly in line with the rod/line is that important but its certainly a nice touch bending them to bring them in line just in case!

Between Den,Worms and your self anything I now do looks very amateurish! And I used to make a living designing,making and selling custom gear!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Very nice, Tinca :thumbs:

(Off topic, but if you were thinking about braid at Wingham you might want to reconsider - those bars are sharp. Although I think some people do use braid there.)

I'm now waiting for my bobbin heads to arrive. I've gone for yellow this time. It seems obvious when I think back, but of course the reason I'm not hauling massive bream every trip is because I've been using red bobbins. The switch to yellow should sort that out :rolleyes::D

Edit - I see you have also gone for yellow. Excellent choice!

Posted at the same time as Budgie - Budgie, don't worry, mine will make yours look v professional!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo,lets just chuck all this crap we now have littering our kitchen tables in the bin and mug Paul for his at Wingham?

Good idea...all we need is a contraption to trip and incapacitate him, and then they're ours!

Paul, could you sketch a few ideas out for us please? :lol:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

(Off topic, but if you were thinking about braid at Wingham you might want to reconsider - those bars are sharp. Although I think some people do use braid there.

Used braid all the time last year but with a whole length of anchor tube on each rod. No problems apart from once when I was using a large maggot feeder which got wedged up on the bottom. The yellow bobbin is joined by a red and a green one but with green isotopes in each. Always carry spare spools filled with 10lb big game just in case.

Good idea...all we need is a contraption to trip and incapacitate him, and then they're ours

can i help im sure i can have a blackout while driving the tractor and trailer and without knowing , knock him in B):yeah: .

love from a bored wingham baillif

can i help im sure i can have a blackout while driving the tractor and trailer and without knowing , knock him in B):yeah: .

love from a bored wingham baillif

He'll be eaten by a shoal of bream!

Just out of interest everyone, why swingers? I'm not argueing they'd be good but I'm interested in what you all think the benefits are. I'm still not sure if I can be bothered to make some you see!

Rich

He'll be eaten by a shoal of bream!

Just out of interest everyone, why swingers? I'm not argueing they'd be good but I'm interested in what you all think the benefits are. I'm still not sure if I can be bothered to make some you see!

Rich

For me the choice of swinger is an easy one - it seems like the easiest thing to modify/make to sort out the problem of wind moving the indicator. Your solution of hinged bobbin cord is very clever and works very well, but it's simply too much effort for me!

I went to Wickes and Homebase yesterday after work, but the best either of them could do for the arm material was 8mm aluminium tube. B&Q claim to have some 6mm in stock, but that's much more of a trek to get to, so will have to wait for a weekend. Having seen and handled the 8mm I think I will follow Tinca's lead and use 6mm. The 8mm was surprisingly light, so I think 6mm is a good compromise. It's proving impossible to get anything any smaller anyway!

Regarding the weight of non-counterbalanced swingers, if this does prove to be a problem I will modify them to take a counterweight, but as they will only be used for bream, I am hoping it won't be an issue...