Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

That's interesting mate.The only liners Ive had at Wingham have been on the rare (erm very rare occasion) that Ive caught bream the set up I had at the time was my normal pegged down bobbin set up and the drop was around 30" the liners would rise to the top then back down where the take stayed there.

Budgie, what happened when you had the bream - how many liners, how big, how long did they go on for, how many rods were affected, what was the bite like...everything! It just struck me that I've never heard the story, and there is probably something interesting/helpful in it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Budgie, what happened when you had the bream - how many liners, how big, how long did they go on for, how many rods were affected, what was the bite like...everything! It just struck me that I've never heard the story, and there is probably something interesting/helpful in it.

The rod I caught on was cast (some what unknowingly) to the feature (that Steve and I subsequently found a few years later from the boat!) to the extreme left of the swim.This was totally away from the ground baited area in front of me that I had the other two rods on.It was a worm (dendra) and corn (fake piece put on to secure worm) cocktail fished over a medium sized can of corn.The line was coming of the rod tip at quite an angle as I had the rods on a buzzer bar.Bobbin was my normal peg down ultra light on a drop of around 30".Rig was a running 1 1/4 ozs lead on a short "feeder boom"with a hi-tech 5lb mono hook length of around 15" .The line was fished quite slack due to being close in (around 20m down the bank but only 10-12m out).

I had two "full blown" liners about 20-30 mins before the take with the bobbin rising and then falling just short of the full drop.I had several "small" (2"-6") lifts also between the last big liner and the actual take. Unfortunately as I was cooking the evening meal at the time I wasn't watching the line beyond the rod tip (as I normally do after receiving liners) as diligently so cant say about any "twitching" (which I have also found most common when bream are over your rig/line)

So other than the fact that I was fishing for the bream intentionally and had baited two areas accordingly it was a bit of a fluke so cant really draw much from it.Certainly nothing untoward and much as any other SB/LSD water bream Ive caught.

Incidental the only reason I had placed the bait there was that I wanted to try an alternative approach with one rod to the "fill it in and wait" I was using on the other two.Also Steve had sugested that there was some form of feature there which he had caught (Perch or Bream?) from before. First time I had fished the swim and only my second time on the water so I had a quick feel around and found a definite depression that I interpreted as a gap in a bar running out from the bank(possible "pinch point") You could find it easily enough with both the marker and when you cast you could feel the difference in "drop" so knew you had it right. However it wasn't till several years later when I sounded it and marked it with "H" blocks from the boat then viewed it from the bank that we both realised/understood why it was potentially such a good spot!

If I get a break health wise this year I plan to fish it again and find mark/bait similar features.Heres hoping!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for that Budgie, very interesting. Did you ever get a feeling which direction they enetered the swim from? I assume that as you had other rods out to the right (and further out) which didn't get any liners, they probably came from the left?

What was the wind doing during the day and at night when they turned up?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I cant remember what the wind was doing during the day to be honest (the failings of stopping keeping notes!) but it was calm during the evening (my brother may remember) No liners at all on the other rods.The way the Bream entered the swim at the time wasn't really known to me I just presumed that they must have come from the left due to the lack of liners on other rods and the gap in the bar.However after finding out about the feature in more detail it became quite clear that they would have been "funneled" in by the layout of the feature.Its hard to explain but it kind of looks like a bar that's split into two branching off "Y" style.Next time your down we will see if you can get out and have a look and you will clearly see what I mean.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers Budgie, that would be good. As far as I know, no-one else has ever had a bream from there, or in fact anywhere near there. It's an interesting bit of water though.

I cant remember what the wind was doing during the day to be honest (the failings of stopping keeping notes!) but it was calm during the evening (my brother may remember)

Yes I do remember it alright! In fact there was hardly any wind on the surface in Peg 12/13 but a few ripples on the far side where Steve Ward caught his big bream on the same night as budgie. Another thing (if it relevant) was that the air temperature did drop quite a bit in the afternoon/evening and it did pick up again around midnight and throughout the next day.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

What was the wind doing during the day and at night when they turned up?

It was a strong south-westerly. In fact so strong I offered Budgie and Andrew a move from the Point where I'd originally pegged them. It's a good job they took up the option!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I did some work on the MK II swingers today, and they're almost finished :)

The ones I used last year had arms made from 6mm ali tube and no counterbalance. Despite this they worked really well. But once you start tinkering, that's it, so I thought I'd see if I could make some with a thinner arm material and a counterbalance.

These are what I bought off ebay to chop up: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-Drop-off-Bite-In...=item45f7f758a2

The useful bit is the black plastic rod rest attachment, as it allows 2mm steel rod to pass through it, and it looked like an easy job to get long lengths of that, bend it to shape, add weights and bobbin heads, and that would be it. As it turned out, it actually was that simple. Like with the MK I swingers, they attach to the rod rests with a pair of tool clips, held in place with little brass nuts and bolts.

DSCF1857.jpg

There are 2 sliding weights, a big one behind the rod rest and a smaller one in front, so it's easy to finely balance the weight you want. The arms are the same length as the MK Is, about 18".

The bobbin heads are not yet attached and are the same ones from the MK I swingers.

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1861.jpg

Last job - aralditing short lengths of 4mm steel tube to the end of the swingers so the bobbin heads can be pushed tightly on:

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1862.jpg

It's very windy outside today, but they wobble far less than my old ones despite the bendy nature of the thin steel rod. I think it's because there's hardly anything for the wind to catch. Once the bobbin heads are on and they are clipped onto the line, I think they'll work well. The biggest problem will probably be transporting them and not bending them out of shape :)

Sorry for quoting all the pics again but these are really good Anderoo. I love the simplicity and the weighting mechanism, it should be adjustable for any application.

Well done!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Rusty, I appreciate that. I just hope they work in the real world!

Thanks Steve and Andrew too, that's very helpful.