Haltwhistle River Session (Good Friday)

Steven Osborne

Had a day on the Haltwhistle river stretch with a friend on Good Friday after buying a dayticket. Walked for miles and enjoyed it even if no fish for us.

Tried teams of three Spiders but we ended up dropping back to a team of two in an attempt to beat the wind as with 5wt lines it was giving us some challenges.

Water was really cold so no surprise there really with all the snow recently melting and working its way in to the river.

Please excuse my ignorance but when does the Haltwhistle river beat usually wake up a bit as this is my first season on rivers?

Steve.

Had a day on the Haltwhistle river stretch with a friend on Good Friday after buying a dayticket. Walked for miles and enjoyed it even if no fish for us.

Tried teams of three Spiders but we ended up dropping back to a team of two in an attempt to beat the wind as with 5wt lines it was giving us some challenges.

Water was really cold so no surprise there really with all the snow recently melting and working its way in to the river.

Please excuse my ignorance but when does the Haltwhistle river beat usually wake up a bit as this is my first season on rivers?

Steve.

it usually is good during april, it all depends on the water temperature, last year we didn't have snow melt at this time, so it was starting to wake up. Usually it's when the tulips are flowering up here, and the daffs have died, perhaps another week.

try the irthing waters for brown trout however, also on the haltwhistle ticket and great fishing. At the moment not worth wetting a line but will be best around early afternoon.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

this afternoon/evening would be good on the tributaries if this temperature keeps up, there's a bit too much water in the river or at least there was this morning.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 3 weeks later...

I am a regular visitor to these waters and I would also go with the Irthing.

Just keep an eye of the surface to see what is moving.

I have often done well on the various red worm type patterns.

"Muddlin' along"

haltwhistle is that near the roman wall ,havn't heard that name since 1974 ,i think it was about there we dragged out two trout in two casts for supper when we were walking the wall

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson