Penn Nomad

Bob on Stronsay

I am thinking about a new rod. My ideal rod would be 13ft and I like 3 pieces.

Although it is a lot more money than I wanted to spend I am looking at the Penn PPT Nomad EVO1 3pce 13' 4 - 8oz Veals are doing it for £157.45 plus VAT.

Any of you seen, tried or owned one?

Any sensible alternatives to look at.

I would love to pop into my local tackle shop and actually see one but that would be a three or four day round trip so it's mail order or nothing.

Bob

Not sure what you are saying Alan. Are you saying all Penn stuff is rubbish/over priced/ etc.

Or are you saying "Some Penn stuff is overpriced" in which case is this targeted at the Nomad.

I just got two Penn 525 gs's and couldn't be happier with them.

I had a word with Veals and although the man said the Nomad was a very good rod he also mentioned the much lower priced Penn Powerstick Plus 13MFS and the BOGOF deals on the V3 or Voyager.

The Powerstik does fit my criteria for being a 3pc 13ft rod and at £64 plus VAT is a much better price than the Nomad. The V3 is actually a 4pc as it comes with 2 tips but is only 12ft and comes in at about the same price if you buy 2 for £130.

I also like the look of the Diawa Sandstorm and the one above it in the range (I think it is the S model) but both of these are 2pc and £30/£40 dearer but if they are considered far better rods I could be tempted.

The best quality rod on this island is my very old, heavy and reconditioned ABU atlantic. Most of the people who fish ar using stuff like the RT millenium deals or cheap stuff from Askari.

So the more advice I can get on any rods for general island fishing beach and the odd trip on the rocks, the better.

I was maybe looking above my station with the Nomad.

Bob

Bob,

I am cosidering the bogof deal with a mate so we should both be quids in.

do you recomend the 525 gs to match up with rod or does anyone have any advice re a slosh or mag.

Go for it Bob while stocks last, I wiil be.

Andrew

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Used both penn rods and reels for about 5 yrs now, and couldn't be happpier with them, often preferring my PPT to my conoflex. the 525mag has been great! Dosen't have the grunt grunt of a slosh or a 535 tho! also the rod and reel deals help out with the long pocket/short arm syndrome!

Nothing wrong with Penn rods - if you buy a reel though, before you use it open it up and make sure there's some lubrication in there - I was advised to do this by Ian Rose at Seashore Tackle in Paington. I took the side plate of a new 310GTI my dad bought and I swear it was as dry as a bone.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

jabee:

Nothing wrong with Penn rods - if you buy a reel though, before you use it open it up and make sure there's some lubrication in there - I was advised to do this by Ian Rose at Seashore Tackle in Paington. I took the side plate of a new 310GTI my dad bought and I swear it was as dry as a bone.

:cool: Penn, the reel you service "before" using. :D