Big bream

Anderoo

You also mentioned there may have been recaptures? You say 25 big bream but are there any other bream of any other sizes?

Most of my 'don't count' bream have come from three waters, mate. All of these venues rarely throw up bream below 6 or 7 pounds, at least on carp gear, and I've used maggots and other small baits that smaller bream could certainly scoff on a size 10 hook.

My my main syndicate lake also holds a superb head of tench, and again these are never caught below 6lbs or so. As you know, a 3lb tench can swallow pretty much any carp bait available. For the record, there's a fine head of roach, perch, eels and pike in there, too, and yes we do fish for them all! ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been told that bream don't like feeding over light coloured groundbait has anyone else found this?

Rich

I've caught them on and over pretty much every bait known to man, except large deadbaits. I even had one on a roach head fishing for eels. :rolleyes:

I definitely caught two monsters when I was using groats as a particle bait for carp, and that's about as light coloured as it gets.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I've caught them on and over pretty much every bait known to man, except large deadbaits. I even had one on a roach head fishing for eels. :rolleyes:

I definitely caught two monsters when I was using groats as a particle bait for carp, and that's about as light coloured as it gets.

This feels a bit like questioning dahn the station, so sorry about the string of questions - we're just not used to having anyone here who's actually caught a few of the damn things :rolleyes:

Have you noticed anything that could be useful in location of these huge bream? I think that's the really fundamental thing and where most of the guesswork comes in.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been told that bream don't like feeding over light coloured groundbait has anyone else found this?

Rich

Dont know if its any help or not Rich but during my match fishing days I found that lots of species (including bream) could be wary of going over beds of light coloured groundbait.This enevitably was in clearer water.

Never really sussed out whether this was because they had learned to associate the grounbait as dangerous and it being light could recognise it better.Or the other theory put forward was they felt uncomfortable over the stuff because it made them more visable to predaters being over such a contrasting bottom.

Often (especially in the river,and strangely enough the faster flowing stretchs that the bream in the German rivers seemed equally at home in) bright red groundbait was the colour of preference.And I mean "bright" red! We made it by adding Cas Sim Blood (this is a red powder you mix up with water to make simulated blood for first aid training) So bright it used to stain your hands red worse than the origonal Robin Red!.

On clear winter cannals adding dark soil to groundbait was also a normal practice.Not to be confussed with the leam tactics used when fishing bloodworm and joker though.

When Ive used heavy groundbait tactics for Big bream (my most sucsessfull aproach but Ive never got it to work on a SB water) Ive never bothered colouring it just using the mix of brown and white crumb to get the consistancey I want .

So no direct answer (as usual sorry!) but maybe some food for thought?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

My my main syndicate lake also holds a superb head of tench, and again these are never caught below 6lbs or so. As you know, a 3lb tench can swallow pretty much any carp bait available. For the record, there's a fine head of roach, perch, eels and pike in there, too, and yes we do fish for them all! ;)

So quite a high bio mass of fish then it seems?

Once again leads me to believe my thoughts are right and the bream have turned onto carp baits out of necessity rather than prefference?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Now this is the one thing about SB that I can say Ive got totally sussed................

First proper laugh of the day :lol:

(You do know that, 'somewhere in that lake over there', doesn't count, right?)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music