Big bream

Anderoo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A useful term just occurred to me. We know these bream don't have patrol routes (the longer-term members would know all about them by now, plus on similar waters they were never evident) but I think they do have 'preferred routes'. We know we can stop them in their tracks and encourage them to feed, as that's exactly what Steve has done by fishing pinch points.

That fish the other night, I'm sure I could have picked that up in any one of about 8 swims.

Figure out which routes they prefer when moving about (joining dots on a map), study the undertow in the daytime to see where natural food is being deposited, bait up quietly in early evening, and as Ian suggested, a pouchful of loosefeed now and again is a good idea too.

I reckon we're getting there :)

Incidentally, if the lake ever gets a lot busier, we'll have a new problem of lines cutting across preferred routes, possibly disrupting the bream. The bream guys on carp lakes have this problem.

Ooh, just had a nice idea - if we can be reasonably confident we know a preferred route, instead of laying a line of bait across it (a familiar baiting strategy in intercept them) we can lay a line of bait along it, with 3 or 4 hookbaits in the line...

Knowing preferred routes still doesn't mean there's a bream anywhere near you of course!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tigger - Braided hooklinks was just bite off time when hooking eels. A change to mono solved all the problems except catching them continued :schmoll: without having to keep retackling at unearthly times of the night.

Andrew - Thank you and I hope to get down for at least 1 day of the SG fish in and meet everyone.

I would not describe my method as matchman style. Just a simple in line 1.5oz lead and maggots fished straight on a hook (no hair) and the bait put out before dark. Sometimes I slept all night (quite often from memory) other times if the eels were active it was just a case of either wading through them or changing baits. The issue I was trying to explain was the feeding of eels and (LSD) bream often co-incided, but not everytime ............. I did catapult more maggots out after each capture. Disturbance was kept to a minimum purely due to the close range.

Ian

Ian

Welcome to both AN and the syndicate Ian.

Cant see why you differentiate between LSD's and SB's as its the very same conditions (possibly with the extra of a good genetic background) that you describe for LSD's that create (in my mind) SB.

Your comments on eels are interesting but Ive found that the numbers of eels in any one water is what really dictates how many you catch full stop regardless of individual species preferences.

that said Ive often felt that both bream and carp dont like feeding with eels/at the same time.But as I base this on not often catching either species at the same time as eels I could be interp[reting it totally wrong! ie it may be the eels that dont like feeding when/with the others! Maybe some one with a lot more practical eel experience than me could comment?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie - Thank you

I guess that was my objective (LSD Vs SB) in the first place but did not want to impose my ideas without having some sort of adult debate. I believe they are one and the same and have similar behaviour patterns and, as you say, its just other variables that dictate the ultimate size.

I do know people who fish for eels and they often tell me of 'accidental' captures of specimen bream and roach on double/treble lobs on large hooks and wire traces ! I do not know however if they catch both species in the same period of time.

Ian

Ian

Guest tigger
Tigger - Braided hooklinks was just bite off time when hooking eels. A change to mono solved all the problems except catching them continued :schmoll: without having to keep retackling at unearthly times of the night.

Ian

Right, to be honest I've never been bitten off with eels when using braided hooklengths. Obviously pike have menaged to saw through it but never the old snigg. Just curious what braid you where using?

Right, to be honest I've never been bitten off with eels when using braided hooklengths. Obviously pike have menaged to saw through it but never the old snigg. Just curious what braid you where using?

Kryston Silkworm in 10 or 12 lb (not sure which)

Ian

Guest tigger
Kryston Silkworm in 10 or 12 lb (not sure which)

I've never used silkworm but have used Snake bite, Drennan, fox graviton and power pro at Wingham and they where all sound when I hooked the eels with no sign of being frayed or damaged. I had both styles of eels (big head with a wide mouth and the smaller headed pointy faced ones).

Oh forgot to mention the breaking strains...snake bite was in 15 and 25lb, drennan 10lb sinkbraid...graviton 25lb and 15lb power pro.

Edited by tigger

Tigger, snake bite is coated and graviton and power pro are mainlines. I'm surprised the sinkbraid stood up to the eels' teeth, now that I'm using a hook sharpener I'm noticing that the sinkbraid does wear and start to fray where it rubs on the eye of the hook after a few fish.

You solve one problem and create another :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
Tigger, snake bite is coated and graviton and power pro are mainlines. I'm surprised the sinkbraid stood up to the eels' teeth, now that I'm using a hook sharpener I'm noticing that the sinkbraid does wear and start to fray where it rubs on the eye of the hook after a few fish.

You solve one problem and create another :rolleyes:

Yeah snake bites coated until you strip it back and I usually srtip it back two or three inches from the hook. You can use any braid/mono as a hooklength, I don't quite know what your getting at. As I said I had no problem with drennan sink braid and eels what so ever. It sounds like your getting an obsession with sharpening your hook, it shouldn't be getting blunt so often especially on still waters.