blooming BT 125.6

chesters1

bought another hub yesterday so my bro when he visits can use the wireless for his console.

alls well as you can see its working but i cannot select the actual hub in the software to check the security settings .

i emailed BT's "help" section.

heres mine :

Customer (david granger) - 03/27/2008 11:40 AM

Connection:

hi ,when i opted for bt broadband i got a 22ov router ,since then i have bought a second hand home hub .

its working fine but i cannot install anything from the CD (it refuses to go past the initial "continue")

i downloaded the software from the web but trying to install desktop help it asks for a password ,both admin and the hubs serial number don't work ,how do i reset it back to default.

the serial number is : CP0645EHHJD (4F) if it helps .

also not being able to install from the CD means (i presume)the hub isn't encrypted ,thanks Dave

Response (Sudeshna Ganguly) - 03/27/2008 12:33 PM

Dear Mr. Grainger,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 27th March '08. It has been logged under the reference number VOL011-9103512226.

I understand from your e-mail, you are unable to download the required BT softwares from the Installation CD. Hence, you have downloaded the softwares from the BT website. However, you are experiencing an issue installing the BT Desktop Help since it refuses to accept the details that you are providing with.

The CD may not work for various resaons. the CD might not be compatible with the operating system or the CD was corrupted. However, i would advise you to download softwares from http://bt.software.yahoo.com/ since it would provide you with a wide range of updated versions of BT software.

Please be informed that in-order to install the Desktop Help software, you need to provide your BT Yahoo! primary e-mail address and password. Any other username and password combination would fail to install the software as happened in your case. Let me inform you that you need the Hub username and password (which happens to be admin and serial number of the Hub) only to access the advanced settings of the Hub.

For any further assistance and queries, do not hesitate to contact us or use our BT Broadband Self Help website http://www.bt.com/broadband/help

Thank you for using BT Total Broadband Support.

Sudeshna Ganguly

BT Total Broadband Support

the chap has even admitted i have downloaded the software from the website yet suggests i download the software from the website!

he's wrong you need your username and password to download the software but the instalation password and user are totally different because you need to access the hub itself to install the software.

my response

HI ,read MY EMAIL ,i have already downloaded the software!!!!! BUT desktop help REFUSES to work without a username and password (as i said in my email)

both Admin + Admin or Admin + serial number DO NOT WORK ,i need to reset the password to default ,this is NOT just to get to the advanced settings but to use Desktop help itself ,i cannot get past selecting the equiptment page without needing a password! .It states on the password page the user is "ADMIN" and the password is either "ADMIN" or the serial number BOTH DO NOT WORK!!

thanks dave

i await with baited breath the answer

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Exactly what are you talking about when you say "hub"? If it is one of the old 10baseT devices that have pretty well been replaced by switches, that could be part of your problem but I'm still not quite sure what you are trying to do that isn't working.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

BT home hub is in fact a router. I assume this is what you are talking about Dave.. If you bought it second hand whoever had it before changed the default settings. Once you return it to factory you should be able to use the admin and serial number to login. The default address for the router will be 192.168.1.254 all you have to do is web browse to it. You probably already know this though. :D

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehubfaq.html

Found this here that says:

When the Home Hub software update has completed and the on-screen message states that it was successful, press and hold the grey "Wireless association button" on the back of the BT Home Hub for 20 - 30 seconds" to factory default the Home Hub. Failure to do so may result in erratic behaviour and Internet connectivity problems.

Not sure if it only applies to updating of the firmware.

Newt- nobody uses 10baseT any longer do they? ;) Although wireless uses the same concept. i.e collision avoidance vs. collision detection

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Chesters, When my wireless router gave up a year or so ago, I tried to use a BTHUB which belonged to my Son. Obviously He had all the details but with best efforts we could not get it to work, and he is currently considering his Phd in IT/Network. :huh:

They may have changed it but back then the hub was locked to work to a barticular BB ID signal on your line.

I think I have another old wireless router,will have a look, if my nipper hasn't taken it to pieces as he has a habit of doing with 'old stuff' I will dig it out for you. If not somebody else might have a gash one. ;)

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

:lol: HI dave looks like your talking to yourself here too :wallbash::D
thats not unusual i expect i am on most users ignore list :D
Chesters, When my wireless router gave up a year or so ago, I tried to use a BTHUB which belonged to my Son. Obviously He had all the details but with best efforts we could not get it to work, and he is currently considering his Phd in IT/Network. :huh: They may have changed it but back then the hub was locked to work to a barticular BB ID signal on your line.I think I have another old wireless router,will have a look, if my nipper hasn't taken it to pieces as he has a habit of doing with 'old stuff' I will dig it out for you. If not somebody else might have a gash one. ;)
its working fine (as you see by my presense here) i am not a wireless fan (the house is so small wires work fine) but my bro was moaning he couldnt go online with his 360 so its more for peace and quiet reasons :lol:

the three quid it cost was fine ,its now the standard issued by BT on their broadband package ,mine was a wired only version when i "joined"

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

its working fine

What you bloody moaning about then. :P:P:P

Don't bother to answer, your on my ignore list. :huh::P

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

it is now i reset it not from BT's help system :D

it needed an administrator password to install the software the defaults didnt work hence the emails ,now its reset (they didnt mention that button) its ok ,i didnt get the manual with it .

i havnt a clue though about the wireless security (i use that phrase tongue in cheek) using its phone means i have to leave the wireless part on but as yet havn't found out how secure it is

Edited by chesters1

If you aren't using the wireless (access point) there should be an option to turn it off. That should stop it from advertising its SSID (name).

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

it is now i reset it not from BT's help system :D

it needed an administrator password to install the software the defaults didnt work hence the emails ,now its reset (they didnt mention that button) its ok ,i didnt get the manual with it .

i havnt a clue though about the wireless security (i use that phrase tongue in cheek) using its phone means i have to leave the wireless part on but as yet havn't found out how secure it is

I don't know what that router offers you, but if you can you should use WPA security. It lets you use an easy to remember key like "Winston Churchill" rather than the gobbledegook that the older WEP system required.