Do the French love

The Flying Tench

On the packet of my Sensas roach groundbait it says the roach is the favourite fish of the French! Surprised me a bit. Thought they would be into those mega carp. I mean, don't the surveys show that in the UK the carp is the favourite fish by miles nowadays?

I wonder if it means they've got some quality roach fishing in France to compete with the carp lakes?

Vive la France as far as I'm concerned on this occasion, anyway!

john clarke

I think it means they like eating them, John. Apparently, French anglers enjoy a "fritture" of assorted small fish (roach, gudgeon, etc). That's according to a Geoff Bucknall article I remember reading years ago, anyway.

Guest Rabbit

On the back of a Sensas packet.......I am sure they were making reference to the roach as a fish to catch , not eat :P

Roach are a popular species. As are most silver fish. Pole fishing seems to be the more popular/natural way of fishing over there???

They call waggler fishing "peche a l'Anglaise" (English style fishing)

Carp are popular. Pike too. Looking through magazines you do see plently of photos of blokes with their prized catch in their garden or outside the local tackle shop..............

There is more and more "No Kill" but it will take a long time to get through. France is very rural country. Much more rural than the UK. It still is but to a lesser extent than years past.............. You hunt/fish, you kill and you eat. That's just the way it is for a lot. ................ The 'paysan' (peasant) is still in existence but he/she is a dying breed.

I suspect that the new generation are more interested in carp than roach though.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I suspect that the new generation are more interested in carp than roach though.

Sure are, you get a bigger meal from a carp than a roach,

Carp a'la mutard, any one?

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Many moons ago as a lad I fished a pit in Cheriton folkestone, right where the channel tunnel starts and I remember meeting a young french couple who had a pile of dead silver fish beside them, they where on a student exchange and they informed me they cook and eat all fish caught and promised me a feast the next day! we were only tenagers and the next day they duly served me Roach and it was I have to say......sh*t. They told me the perch and gudgeon were the best, much to good for an English kid!! ;)