Fly Dressing Club

Steven Osborne

Does anyone know if there is a Fly Tying/Dressing club or group that meets in or around the Newcastle (Hexham/Brampton) area?

I have just started tying and would like to meet up in a group to learn more and discuss all the ideas bouncing around in my head - at the moment I only have books, the internet and the odd video.

Regards

Steve

Does anyone know if there is a Fly Tying/Dressing club or group that meets in or around the Newcastle (Hexham/Brampton) area?

I don't know of one in Newcastle, but there's one in Durham. I've just started tying too but found out about it too late for this season (from the sound of it, nothing much goes on from April onwards as everyone's too busy fishing).

www.durhamflyfishers.co.uk

(Actually, according to the Flydressers Guild website, they've got a branch in Morpeth, but there's no more info than just the name of the pub where they meet.)

there's a number of people who tie thier own flies in haltwhistle, most of the anglers, to be honest, but not a club that I'm aware of.

Our chairman may know more, if you contact the comrades club in haltwhistle and ask for walter, he may be able to help. As far as I can tell most of the tiers meet there in winter for drinks, to discuss patterns and to boast about (often mythical) catches in equal measure.

it is not formlised enough to be classed as a pub however.

Ivan Banks, based in Haltwhistle, is a top tier and makes his living from it. I will ask if he's willing to give oiut his details to someone to discuss tieing.

In newcastle, the chap who does most of the tieing for the shop on Greys Street also works there and he's always happy to while away a half hour chatting in return for you buying the odd bits and pieces.

Finally our very own Snatcher, usually to be found on the sea forum, is based between Whitly Bay and Stranraar, depending on whim, and he ties commercially too but is very accomodating to anglers net members.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Just checked with bagnall and kirkwood on grey street, the nearest club to newcastle is the morpeth one.

theres a fishing shop on grey street? i live in newcastle(well while im at uni) and ive never seen it, is it towards the bottom near zizzi's? opposite subway because theres a outdoorshop there but didnt realise it was a fishing one?

The shop you describe is Bagnall and Kirkwood, if you take a closer look in the window you will sea that they mainly sell shooting and fishing ranges.

what kind of fishing are you into as most types can be catered for to some extent in the North East.

Edited by phil dean

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

usually still water fly fishing, im from the north east anyway well just outside middlesbrough, so i spend alot of my time fishing the such likes as jubilee, stonebridge, lockwood beck sharpley springs etc and ocaisionally venture down to marston wyse and belflask, sometimes do some river fishing for wild brownies but that usually consists of a spinning rod with a waggler and some maggots just left drifting down stream, are there any other decent fishing shops in newcastle?

There's ID tackle next to the Brinkburn centre , below Biker, in Newcastle, they're excellent for sea and coarse and one of their guys is a very keen salmon/trout fly angler.

Just down from South Gosforth Metro is South Gosforth Angling Centre (i think) excellent for coarse fishing and sea.

There are plenty of good stillwater trout fisheries in northumberland, not that far from Newcastle, and the river derwent is a good trout water just near blaydon, about 5 miles from the centre of newcastle.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY