where to camp in Wales for pike?

mrminibus

Not sure if youve decided on a location yet but,

I fished the wrexham pike pond that i mentioned last weekend and while only fishing maggots managed to hook and lose 2 different pike during the session.

ok they were no monsters, probably both under 5lb but it showed me the potential that the lake has!

also if you like carp there were some nice fish up to around 20lb id guess, cruising around on the surface, might be fun floater fishing for them.

there was only 1 other angler there and it was a sunday when i would have expected a few more

so dont rule it out because i mentioned kids! could still be a good option, best of all its free and you can camp as close to the water as you like

hi Rich!! im looking to get back into Pike fishing, so i was wondering whether you could give me directions to this pike pond. i currently live in burton. (near rossett) any help would be much appreciated!!!

cheers

russ

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Russ, its pretty simple for you mate...

Go down the straight mile towards Llay. Continue straight through the traffic lights at the bottom heading for cefn y bedd. Just before you bear right and go down the hill towards the river, there is a left turn, the road is called park road but im not sure if there is still a sign there. The pond is in the field on your left just after you turn into this road. Entrance is through a stile, beware of any roaming cattle, and remember its school holidays so they may be kids!

let me know if you need any more help mate

Hi Russ, its pretty simple for you mate...

Go down the straight mile towards Llay. Continue straight through the traffic lights at the bottom heading for cefn y bedd. Just before you bear right and go down the hill towards the river, there is a left turn, the road is called park road but im not sure if there is still a sign there. The pond is in the field on your left just after you turn into this road. Entrance is through a stile, beware of any roaming cattle, and remember its school holidays so they may be kids!

let me know if you need any more help mate

ah you're a genius! i will try and have a look for it tomorrow, had a quick look earlier but didnt find it. got caught up in summer hill. i will let you know if i find it though.

cheers mate!!

I found it today Rich!! i'd gone completely the wrong way the other day, but its pretty simple to find actually! i'm gunna try it out in the next couple of days once ive bought all my equipment!

nice one, let me know how you get on!

Well done on the first one.

I think there are alot of smaller pike in there as well as a few big fish. the smaller ones may prove a problem until you work out where the bigger ones hang out.

from fishing there this summer (not specifically for pike) i would predict that there is a small pike like you caught every 10-15 feet along the bank, mainly around the road side bank.When fishing for small roach its been a case of pull them out quickly or youll have a pike on the line too!

i believe the bigger fish have been caught on deadbaits.

Have you tried fishing acton park lake? i know of a 22pound fish caught a couple of years back, and there are also lots of 4-6lb fish caught close in here, and confimed by a recent EA netting. Also pike fishing is fast approaching its end here as a club plans to take over next season and transform it primarily into a carp lake (probably no lure fishing). might be worth a go.

Keep me informed of any more catches anyway!