where to camp in Wales for pike?

mrminibus

Guest tigger

I used to live on Anglesey and the fishing is pretty poor unless your after the salty versions. You can forget any serious Piking. Most of the fishing is Trout and little much else. I think your Better sticking to the mainland.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounded great right up to the school holiday bit.... lol, yes it's the 26th May were going which is a school holiday...

We would like a small ish water where it would be just a few fisherman, nothing comercial & we are quite flexible to where to go in North wales area.

We went to Loch Lomond last year it was freezing & we didn't catch one fish... came back home & caught a nice 15 pounder :)

so that's why we thought we would try a little to the south rather than north...

Any thoughts?

Hi sorry about the delayed reply.

The lake is just outside of a village called cefn-y-bedd about 3 miles from wrexham and on this map it can be seen just behind the word "sydallt"

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|wrex...les,%20LL13%208

the road side has a steep bank and might not be ideal for camping, but the other side is flatter and probably the best side for fishing from anyway. I would avoid this venue if your planning to fish during school half term as it can get popular with kids.

further into wales and iv heard that llyn y gors on anglesey is good, also there are some lakes on the denbigh moors that have big pike, im not sure about the camping rules though but these would be in very scenic locations i presume.

What size lake and what location in wales are you looking for ideally?

the lakes on the denbigh moors are day ticket and dawn till dusk only (thats the ones your allowed to fish anyway some are no go areas being trout waters

Guest tigger
It sounded great right up to the school holiday bit.... lol, yes it's the 26th May were going which is a school holiday...

We would like a small ish water where it would be just a few fisherman, nothing comercial & we are quite flexible to where to go in North wales area.

We went to Loch Lomond last year it was freezing & we didn't catch one fish... came back home & caught a nice 15 pounder :)

so that's why we thought we would try a little to the south rather than north...

Any thoughts?

Why not head for the Lakes instead there's no end of Pike waters there.........they speak English too.

I can recommend the Lochmaben, area of Dumfries. I'm not a pike angler but i can tell you all three lochs have pike in, with lots in Mill loch but the biggest are probably in Castle loch (30lb ish). All three lochs are with in a 5 minute walk of each other along with a pub, chippy, cafe, shops, Chinese take away and even little a tackle shop.

Just take an extra jumper and don't be soft. :cold:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Guest tigger
we did Scotland last year & it was bloody freezing so we thought south is best...

wheres good in the lakes?, not windermere its too big?

Grassmere, Rydalwater are good but nearly all are good for Pike. As Lutra says Lochmaben is great for pike.

It's hard to find anywhere to legally camp by the water in the Lakes. One place we used to go is Bigland Hall, near Cartmel, right at the bottom of the Lake District.

http://www.sodointernet.co.uk/phpwebsite/i...N_position=87:5

It's a good place if you aren't bothered about the size of the pike, I personally haven't seen one over twelve pounds out of there, but there are plenty of them. Although it is in a way "commercial", in that you have to buy a day ticket, it bears no resemblance to what you'd generally call a commercial fishery. I haven't been for a few years and I think it's changed hands so you'd have to ring and ask if they still allow camping.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if youve decided on a location yet but,

I fished the wrexham pike pond that i mentioned last weekend and while only fishing maggots managed to hook and lose 2 different pike during the session.

ok they were no monsters, probably both under 5lb but it showed me the potential that the lake has!

also if you like carp there were some nice fish up to around 20lb id guess, cruising around on the surface, might be fun floater fishing for them.

there was only 1 other angler there and it was a sunday when i would have expected a few more

so dont rule it out because i mentioned kids! could still be a good option, best of all its free and you can camp as close to the water as you like