Maggot's

peterpikefisher

Fresh maggots will be plumper with softer skins(burst nicely in your mouth with lots of juice),the longer you keep them the skin becomes tougher,you can tell the difference hooking one.Any left over white maggots I turn for casters after about 3 days.Red or bronze maggots I freeze for tench/bream.

Edited by dogstick

Hi Boldbear...

Secret to keeping maggots their freshest ...the longest is temperature. 34 - 35 degrees (2 or 3 degress above freezing). They will last for weeks like that. B U T... you have to take out any casters as soon as you see them changing... keep them clean (riddle them with fresh bran and then store in fresher bran... sawdust is better if you have it)... and if you take out enough for your next fishing trip... NEVER ... NEVER put those ones back in with the ones you left in the fridge.

Rob J

Palm Sripngs Ca.

thats just cruel how will they tell their mates left behind what an adventure they had? ,putting them back is no different to putting a fresh lot in the fridge ,they swiftly go into suspended animation and have a nice sleep

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

maggot's how long should they stay usable condition??

IE 1 week 2 week in fridge ,

i am going on a get away from it all short break 1 week

i ain't got a fridge but i do have a cool box for beer/maggots i will be about 30 miles from the nearest bait shop

no car so its a long walk.

why not take some worms along even in a small bait box full of compost and moss they can last a few weeks, might be a good back up plan if the maggots go out of condition, and non live baits bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, hookable pellets etc,