Swan deaths from lead weights - Fishing Ban demanded

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting Steve, it makes you wonder why these locals go for it every time, can not be the circulation can it? :D

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

she seems quite affected, one of her quotes --> "I feel there's a reason for me to be doing this work, and whenever I go down to the river at Worcester, Shrewsbury or wherever, the swans come over to me because they realise I'm on their side"

so they dont just go to anyone who looks like they have food, actually scrap that they go to anyone or anything and start hissing if you dont feed them!!!

also i am not a huge river angler however i would never be thinking of using shot as small as 8s anyway??

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Guest flempike

Thanks Jeff for that. It is easy to contact this woman directly. Who wouldn't want to invite her on this forum and this topic specificaaly, so we can discuss this with her, herself? Anyone mind? And get our point of view across to her in a direct manner? Ask her the evidence? The expertise? Hooks, lead, line, etc?

I'll wait for one hour and await all your reactions and then call or mail her inviting her to join, depending on your reactions off course.

Best Regards,

J.J.

I once had a look to see if this problem of swans dying from lead poisoning occurred elsewhere in the world, and found that the incidence of lead poisoning in swans is widespread and increasing.

Often in remote wilderness areas where anglers never fish.

Locally 'experts' will look at the nearest possible local source and blame that.

So, in the UK it's angler's lead, in some areas it's hunter's lead shot, in some areas it's down to mining, and some areas down to boats using leaded petrol.

In the UK, where swans die with a high level of lead in their blood, it is assumed that it's anglers' lead weights that are the problem, but there are a huge number of other sources of lead in the environment.

But 'give a dog a bad name...' and it sticks.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Anglers do harm wildlife, Swans etc..

We have all seen it, we should not stick our heads in the sand

We know anglers leave rubbish, we know anglers leave

Line and hooks. I have caught a swan and removed line and a hook from its wing.

I have seen ducks trailing line from there beak's

I have seen a robin dead hanging from a piece of line up in a tree.

Its embarrassing, but we have all mis-cast and left a baited hook in a tree out of reach.

We should do every thing possible to avoid leaving tackle and rubbish that can be harmful to wild life

I also pay a monthly donation to the Warwickshire wildlife trust as I feel it’s a contribution

to balance the books a little.

To say its not us is to say we have no impact on wildlife. Honestly ask your self if this is true

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

What did the swans die of? Possibly they've been eating very old lead. Maybe something has been stirring up the sediments and exposing shot from more than 20 years ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look into that before pointing the finger.

That's swan, singular.

From the article:

She said: “Bewdley has a big problem and things are getting worse. Last year 65 swans were found to be badly leaded and one died."

It would be interesting to track down the "veterinary inspection centre" (is that the same as a vet, I wonder) and see what they have to say about this. Actually, it would be nice if our new all-singing all-dancing angling superbody would get involved in things like this and to ask to see some proper evidence. If there really is a problem with discarded lead shot from the middle of the last century fouling our waterways then I'm sure the likes of the ACA would be happy to get involved. And if it turns out to be something else entirely which killed that bird, then it would be good to have a credible body to rebut the story.

I once had a look to see if this problem of swans dying from lead poisoning occurred elsewhere in the world, and found that the incidence of lead poisoning in swans is widespread and increasing.

Often in remote wilderness areas where anglers never fish.

It seems strange to assume that the lead can only be picked up locally in migratory species.. Not to be contrary Leon as I don't know if the swans in question are migratory.

Even so, finger pointing is always the best practise.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Of course anglers can still use some lead; the legislation was framed to allow lead to be used in certain circumstances where it posed no threat to waterfowl. Sensible legislation, not knee-jerking. The particular issue with swans was large amounts of spilt, lost or discarded shot in a specific range of sizes, and it was dealt with. There is still a large amount of metallic lead used in the UK, for many uses, and because lead rapidly forms an insoluble and unreactive oxide layer on exposure to air it doesn't cause a problem.

Anglers do harm wildlife, Swans etc..
Some do. Should we ban angling then?