Swan deaths from lead weights - Fishing Ban demanded

Leon Roskilly

Of course anglers can still use some lead; the legislation was framed to allow lead to be used in certain circumstances where it posed no threat to waterfowl. Sensible legislation, not knee-jerking. The particular issue with swans was large amounts of spilt, lost or discarded shot in a specific range of sizes, and it was dealt with. There is still a large amount of metallic lead used in the UK, for many uses, and because lead rapidly forms an insoluble and un-reactive oxide layer on exposure to air it doesn't cause a problem. Some do. Should we ban angling then?

No, I was not saying that, I was saying we should not ignore the fact and object every time it is pointed out by a member of the public. We should have a code of practise that negates as much harm to wildlife as possible, we All know there are many anglers that don't give a toss, I have seen stones and other objects (even shot) thrown or catapulted at wild life, We should ban the irresponsible Anglers or at least have some way of educating anglers.

Seems to me the governing body's of our sport has no way of reaching the participants. Is it no wonder kids who start fishing with there mates get into bad habits, some are so destructive that its ends up as a vandalion trip and not a fishing trip.

Open your eyes folks, see the rubbish on the banks, see the discarded tackle, line etc.. in the trees.

we are not a united sport like shooting, we are at the mercy of anyone who wants to have a pop.

We bring it on our self's, the anglers on this website are not retrospective of the majority of anglers, they just go fishing and do as they please, they have no communication with angling other than outside their ring of friend, they may get a letter once a year from the EA when they get there licence (if they bother to get on at all) but that's about it.

The answer to our problems, I don't know!!! but forums like this help if we could reach more people, How many on here have seen other anglers acting irresponsible and have done nothing about it! Well Me, I have seen things that have made me cringe but have walked away because I feared for my own safety if I had said something. On other occasions I have pointed out litter that people were about to leave and seen that they take it. Its hard but who does police our sport? The EA? I never see them on the rivers.

Sorry I don't know the answers but I also acknowledge there is a problem of angling damaging wildlife.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flempike

Shall we ask Jan Harrington herself to get on this forum and topic then or not? The evidence, the sort of lead, etc. proof of fishing tackle and to pick up on a remark, effectively, let's get the veterinary centre on here as well. jeff S and Bluerinse are indeed right we aren't overall 'saints' and we know it, we are not THE problem but we might be a PART of it, or some of us at least. I'd say let's do it!

Regards,

J.J.

I can well remember the hysteria in the 70s and 80s surrounding lead shot and discarded line.

I also remember that the amounts of lead shot that was reported lost or discarded by anglers in one season, ( we had a close season then so it was a 9 month season), worked out at more per angler than I had bought in the previous 10 yrs. I worked it all out at the time I was so angry (nerdy I know).

Then there was the popular kids TV show, (a Blue Peter type of show), where kids had supposedly gone along a stretch of the Witham and collected discarded line. They had the large bundle of line on the show, just to let the kids know how bad anglers were.

They never replied to my letter asking why all the line was so shiny, and new looking, if it had been outside for a while.

They never answered my question why the line looked all the same thickness, (about 8-10lb bs), when the length they searched was primarily a match length, and line of that thickness would hardly ever be used, and certainly not in the amounts shown.

They didn't even try to deny my suggestion that the whole thing was a 'put up' job, to gain publicity for the 'antis'.

Some people get into a mindset when it comes to angling. Like the lady who accused anglers of scaring a heron from Roundhay Park lake in Leeds, some years ago.

She walked off when I asked, if the fact that the council had recently allowed sculling, and small power boat races on the water, might have had a hand in it.

John.

P.S.

Bluerinse, nobody can deny that the things you mention happen.

It's not exclusive to angling, it's a society thing, and happens every day in towns, parks, football matches etc.

We can try to educate anglers, but they are just a part of general society, and we can't be held responsible for that. Or can we? Ms Harrigan and Co might think so.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Shall we ask Jan Harrington herself to get on this forum and topic then or not? The evidence, the sort of lead, etc. proof of fishing tackle and to pick up on a remark, effectively, let's get the veterinary centre on here as well. jeff S and Bluerinse are indeed right we aren't overall 'saints' and we know it, we are not THE problem but we might be a PART of it, or some of us at least. I'd say let's do it!

Regards,

J.J.

I think you should

its just excuses to persuade people that doing something they want is good! putting a phrase into the argument like the following works wonders ,is good for "the enviroment" " anti crime" "anti terrorism" "wildlife" "the planet" (substitute the correct term into your statement).

one of the village council's reasons for fencing of the river was a great fightener to get their way "weils disease upstream"

i emailed all i could plus the local MP asking for the evidence to substantiate this statement and despite another email a week or so later not one has even answered never mind submitted evidence ,but for "our" sakes the river is fenced off and is now a mass of weeds and litter ,you can get your way by the merest suggestion ,proof is rarely needed.

there was a campaign against "strangers" and "doggers" talk of strange goings on in and on the land the church owned that is at the end of the lane the pond lies in ,whispers of people "doing" things in cars and seemingly piles of used durex and porm mags left about for "our" kids to find ,it went on for months in and out of the local rag.

the really strange thing is i pass that very place every day and in the summer 3 times a day the last usually after i have been gossiping to anglers its dark ,i have never seen "strangers" "doing" things in cars !the car park in question is right on the roadside ,no piles of johnies or books just the odd fly tip.

the real action goes on by the pond its far more remote and thats very rare indeed.

well the church got fed up with all this "goings" on on their land and sold the land ,the council bought the carpark and surprise surprise the gent how was priivy to all these goings on (that no-body else reported) bought the rest! ;) as i said suggestions without proof go a long way to get what you want.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No, I was not saying that, I was saying we should not ignore the fact and object every time it is pointed out by a member of the public.

That's one thing. Demanding a complete ban for something we aren't actually doing is quite a different thing, no?

Regards,

J.J.

What exactly is this going to accomplish in the long run? Point out that she is wrong and attract attention to P@ta and other organizations? Education is how it should be handled not screaming for a ban.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest flempike

I'd say we get and jan harrington and the veterinary clinic to join this discussion. I noticed also that people who do not fish, know literally nothing about fishing at all. Which will be the case here. I doubt she'd ever had a direct discussion with anglers at all. What do you guys say? Shall we? In case yes, I'll gladly contact her by phone or mail. It'll have to be tommorrow though, got to dash home.

J.J.

flempike

I have already put up a post earlier on this thread detailing the contact page on her website; Medwaygreen and I have already lefy messages.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

That's one thing. Demanding a complete ban for something we aren't actually doing is quite a different thing, no?

So are you saying it categorical is not Anglers who are responsible of the lead poisoning

and if so what proof do you have?

And no there should not be a ban on angling, but there should be some way of having a reasoned

debate with evidence from both sides being submitted, even if this lady is dogmatic and un-reasonable

we should be able to bring the issue to someone's table to make our case.

I am sure through her work she will have seen plenty of swans with hook and line injuries and will have plenty of

photos to prove it, I just wonder what us anglers will be able to bring to the table?

Edited by bluerinse