Float not going under

mike1234

Have had a similar experience, very little float movement but occasionaly moving sideways. Turned out to be Crucians which hardly move the bait at all. Changed to a very sesative lift method with an insert waggler shotted down the line so the insert was showing then attatching a single BB, enough to sink the float, about 1.5-2 inches from the hook. Then set the depth so that the tip of the float is only just visible. Bites will be very slight lifts sometime no more than 6mm strike at everything. I also found I was getting bites from skimmers that I did'nt even know about.

the pond which i was fishing at is basically a hot spot for crucians and skimmers so that could be the problem,i should be going back one day next week if i can get the time off,

i will try using more shot on the line and sinking the float right down to the tip and striking at any movement rather than waiting for the float to move across the swim before striking,

its hard to tell what is a line bite or what is a take without the float going under or moving in a manner that cant be anything but a fish towing it along, sometimes when you see the float twitch its hard to know whether to strike or not risking missing a fish that could be the catch of the day

thanks barry and everyone else

If its any help and hasnt already been said. I use to fish a lake with a lot of crucians in it all about 8-12oz what i noticed with them was they were picking the bait up but and holding it for anything up to 5 mins , during this time i'd just get little dibs and wobbles , if i struck nothing . i had to wait for it to bury itself completetly before striking. this was on a float dotted right down to next to nothing above the surface. But then again i was younger and could see a pin head at 30 paces back then.But something that i use to do was put an extra shot on the line about 2 inches from the hook that lied on the bottom of the lake , if it got picked up the extra shot took the float under.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.